Rc212

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rc212

I'm using RC212 to ferment my Merlot from Grapefest. I went in this morning to push down the cap and there was a slight hairish smell in the fermenter. I've chucked in a wee bit (1 tsp) of neutrient for the yeast to try and alieviate the (likely) deficiency. Is this liable to affect the taste of my yeast (at least to any great effect?) Does anyoen have any advice on yeast additions timescales?
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

It will not affect the taste, as far as I'm aware of. you had 5 gallons of it, right?

yeast is usually added after a day or so after crushing...

I usually add my nutrient at the beginning, but I cannot see how adding it shortly (2-3 days) after the fermentation would affect it negatively.

the smell is likely just plain fermentation on fresh fruit... very normal....

Hope this helps,

M.
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance m. It wasn't particularly strong smell but its good to get anotuer opinion on it. I'd be really upset if the wine went foul and i had to wait till next year to try again.
      Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
      Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
      -Police Squad

Comment

Keep an eye on it. RC-212 has what I would call "higher than normal" nutrient requirements. It can quickly become stressed and stinky.

I prefer to do nutrient additions in two phases. Add half the recommended dosage at the end of the yeast lag phase, and the other half at 2/3 sugar depletion.

Think of it like feeding the dog. You wouldn't give the poor beast two days worth of food all at once and then neglect him. It's always better to dole it out over time.
        Steve

Comment

Which nutrient are you using Graham?

if it is Tronozymol be careful about using too much (more than 1 tsp per gallon) , if it is standard nutrient, you are better off doing as Steve suggests and adding in stages, and better to have a little too much than not enough, at 5 tsp for the batch you would be ok, or even more, so 1 tsp is neither here nor there..

It will surely be fine

I moved this thread to Grapefest 2010...better exposure here I think
          Last edited by lockwood1956; 29-09-2010, 06:48 PM.
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

-

RC212 has fermented of 100% AOK on Regent and Monty. No nutirnett - I can't even bring myself to spell it let alone add it to vino.

Yeast ferment is three phases. Best identified by smell
            1. carpet glue smell - normally day one only. This is the yeast getting started. I believe it is the period of sugar invertion.
            2. A strong fruity gassy smell - this is fermentation of alcohol on mass. SG will drop like a stone.
            3. Pub gas smell - finishing off.

These ferments ran at 24 - 26c this year - cooling as they went . Crushed Weds, last week. Started same day. SG now 1000 (dry) yesterday Tuesday. Job Done. Waiting for first rack and sulphite next week.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
              RC212 has fermented of 100% AOK on Regent and Monty. No nutirnett - I can't even bring myself to spell it let alone add it to vino.

Yeast ferment is three phases. Best identified by smell
              1. carpet glue smell - normally day one only. This is the yeast getting started. I believe it is the period of sugar invertion.
              2. A strong fruity gassy smell - this is fermentation of alcohol on mass. SG will drop like a stone.
              3. Pub gas smell - finishing off.

These ferments ran at 24 - 26c this year - cooling as they went . Crushed Weds, last week. Started same day. SG now 1000 (dry) yesterday Tuesday. Job Done. Waiting for first rack and sulphite next week.
              Hum? Amongst the "mead monsters" some use RC 212 for very "red" fruit meads/melomels, it's known for being a PITA, connected with the low nutrients naturally in honey, and as a result often needs more than might be usual - as it goes "stinky" (H2S) very easily.

I realise that's different to grape musts, but I'd suspect it could still get quite funky smelling under the right (well wrong really) circumstances......

With the meads etc, if that happens, we tend to do staggered nutrient additions and also aerate the must down to about the 1/3rd sugar break....

regards

jtfb
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I can only speak from experience. It is a bigger red yeast and I do think temp is important. Reds do need to be hotter, but not more that 30c (my panic point) The tech sheet for this states a 'High requirement in assimilable
                nitrogen'. This will also be helped by airy strring or punching down in the first couple of days.

For the record I used 1x5g sachet rehydrated, and multipled24hours before inoculation to 500l of must across three vessels. I have never used nutrient for grape musts.

The merlot I have just barreled is (apart form the fizz) almost ready to drink. It will certainly be drinking early.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                X