12 fresh jalapeno peppers
    1 box raisins (l5 oz.)
    2 pounds sugar
    1 ½ teaspoon acid blend
    10 drops pectic enzyme
    3 ½ quarts water
    1 campden tablet (crushed)
    Montrachet yeast

Going to give it a go at the weekend. Got no jals in my crop so will use priare fire and demon reds instead

I would likely use Sultanas instead of raisins, (raisins will give a sherry like flavour that I dont think would match the chillis and would also go easy on the sugar additions, best to add to SG of 1.080 but take into account the sugar in the Raisins/Sultanas (5lb raisins/sultanas = 3 lb sugar)

8oz of sugar will raise your SG by 0.018 (approx)

1lb raisins = 0.6lb sugar or SG raise of approx 0.11 so add sugar to SG of 1.069 the sugar in the raisins/sultanas will make up the rest.

Use the pectin according to the dosage on the tub, but double the dosage if you are using hot or boiling water anywhere in the process

I would likely (if you really want a lot of pepper in the mix) add the peppers around day 3 or 4 of ferment, when the most violent part of ferment has gone so they dont get their flavour blown away by the vigorous part of the ferment

hope that helps

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Hello,

With this recipie would you treat the chillis in any way, Mr Lockwood mentions hot water, or would you chop them up and just throw them in?

I like Chillis, and I like wine, but I don't know which I like more, there's only one way to find out: WIIIIINNNNEE!

Comment

Originally posted by Leon View Post
        Hello,

With this recipie would you treat the chillis in any way, Mr Lockwood mentions hot water, or would you chop them up and just throw them in?

I like Chillis, and I like wine, but I don't know which I like more, there's only one way to find out: WIIIIINNNNEE!
        I would suggest just chopping them up, but still adding them when Bob suggests.

Some of the flavour will be imparted straight away, but the capsaicin (being a fatty alkaloid) will be present once there's enough alcohol to dissolve it into the batch.

Oh and don't forget, how "hot" you get the batch, will depend on the type of chilli used, as well as not removing the seeds and white umbilical that connects the seeds to the flesh (the umbilical, apparently, has the highest level of capsaicin in the fruit, followed by the seeds, and then the flesh).
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I have tasted this type of wine. It actually won a silver medal at the Winefest in Santa Rosa California.

However, this is not a wine I would recommend making. It is a "novelty" that you may wish to use to "ruin" tastebuds for the remainder of an evening.

The flavour will be there, but so will the heat. Proceed with caution.

As for the addition schedule, treat the peppers as any other fruit, chop and add at the beginning for maximum flavour.

Comment

I had some chili wine at Bob's (not sure if it was this recipe or something different) and tbh I thought it was the bee's knees. Very tasty and you're right it is firey but still tasty. I'd say make this if you get a chance. It'll go down a treat with brewers and non-brewers alike.
            Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
            Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
            -Police Squad

Comment

I am a little bit excited by this wine, I will start as soon as possible, thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
              X