GF 2010 Second Runs.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GF 2010 Second Runs.........

A little advice needed from the wine yoda's please! Getting the stuff in ready for 2nd runs on the grapeskins from GF10 (5 boxes worth of Monte, plus a box worth of Merlot). Have got 2 Beaverdale 6 box kits here from earlier in the year (Merlot & Barolo). Use these along with a cheap Youngs kit to get up to 3 gallons (am planning on using both sets of skins for one 2nd run - used K1V in both 'primary' ferments). Bloke in HBS here suggested a 70/30 mix Barolo/Merlot, then topping up with the cheap youngs kit?

Any suggestions? Don't use the Beaverdale kits at all, and just make the 2nd run from the cheap Youngs kits (definitive Red), or go with the plan above?

Or any other suggestions? All welcomed!

Cheers

Dave.
    "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Well, you are mixing all sorts of grapes and kits, so I don't think anything as precise as a 70/30 mix would be necessary!

I would:

Chuck the Barolo and Merlot kits into a 5 gal fermenter, make up to 1.080 ish with water - make up to just over 2 gals, adding a bit if sugar if required to reach the SG. Add the box of Merlot skins and 3 boxes of Monte. Add all the oak from the kits (i.e. very little).

Make up the Youngs kit in a 10l bucket, then add the remainder of the Monte skins. I would make this one into a port, by sugar-feeding it once it is in the DJ.

I would think the Beaverdale mix would need more oak once fermentation was complete, but it looks like you have the basis of a good 2nd run. The Youngs kit would probably bea bit thin and harsh, so sweetening and fortifying it should help

Just my 2p-worth.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

OR ...

do the Barolo/Merlot kits as suggested, then ...

make up a Wine No.1 must (3 gals), add the 3 boxes of Monte skins, leave a maximum of 2 days, then rack & gently press the skins. You'll then have a decent Wine No.1 rosé.

Throw the Youngs kit away
      Pete the Instructor

Comment

Cheers Pete - think option 2 (not using the Youngs kit) is a winner (havent got the youngs kit yet anyway!)

Top stuff sir!

"There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Black Cherry Port SG is continuing to drop slowly, giving me an alcohol content of over 19.5% now (on K1V).

I'm wondering whether this drop is due to fermentation, or solids dropping out of the wine.
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

Solids dropping from the wine would only give a maximum drop of 0.007 on the hydrometer.(this is the amount one is advised to subtract from a reading if dropping the hydrometer into wine with suspended solids)

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
            X