X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mango Wine

From Jack Kellers site

MANGOS

Mangos make a fragrant, golden wine as unmistakably unique as dandelion wine. There are several ways to make it, but only two are discussed here. The first recipe uses the diced fruit. The second uses the juice of the fruit. The two wines taste pretty much the same--delicious.

Mango Wine (1)

• 3-4 lbs fresh mango
    • 2-1/2 lbs finely granulated sugar
    • 7-1/4 pts water
    • 1-1/2 tsp acid blend
    • 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
    • 1 tsp yeast nutrient
    • 1/4 tsp tannin
    • Montrachet or Champagne wine yeast
    Put water on to boil. Meanwhile, peel the mangos, cut the flesh away from the large seed, and slice and dice the flesh. Pour diced flesh in nylon straining bag, tie bag and put in primary. Mash the flesh with your hands or a sterilized potato masher or piece of hardwood. Dissolve sugar in boiling water and pour over mashed fruit. Add acid blend, tannin and yeast nutrient. Cover and allow to cool to room temperature. Add pectic enzyme, cover primary and set aside for 12 hours. Add yeast and recover the primary. Squeeze bag 2-3 times daily for 10 days. Drip drain bag, squeeze gently to extract extra juice and discard pulp (or use to make a "second wine"). Allow wine to settle overnight, then rack into secondary. Top up and fit airlock. Rack again after 30 days and again every two months for six months. Stabilize, sweeten to taste, wait 10 days, and rack into bottles. Age this wine a year before drinking. Serve chilled or over ice. [Adapted from Terry Garey's The Joy of Home Winemaking]

Mango Wine (2)

• 4 lbs fresh mango
    • 2-1/2 lbs finely granulated sugar
    • 7-1/4 pts water
    • 1-1/2 tsp acid blend
    • 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
    • 1 tsp yeast nutrient
    • 1/4 tsp tannin
    • Lalvin ICV D-47 (Côtes-du-Rhône) wine yeast
    Prepare invert sugar (see button below). Meanwhile, peel the mangos, cut the flesh away from the large seed, and push the flesh through a juicer. Pour juice into primary and add invert sugar, acid blend, tannin, yeast nutrient, and pectic enzyme. Cover and set aside for 12 hours. Add yeast and recover the primary. Ferment until specific gravity drops to 1.010 (about 8 days). Rack into secondary, top up and fit airlock. Rack again after 30 days and again every two months for six months. Stabilize, sweeten if desired, wait 10 days, and rack into bottles. Age one year before drinking. Serve chilled or over ice. [Author's own recipe]
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Anyone tried???

Has anyone tried either of these recipes??? Just wondering what they thought of it. They have mangos on sale at the grocery and was thinking of doing it. CHEERS
    Last edited by joesixpack; 04-08-2006, 08:10 PM.

Comment

A lot easier to buy a carton or two of Rubicon Mango juice from the supermarket and add the normal sugar / nutrient combo.
      Always find that the Mango's are too fleshy and give far too much sediment when prepared with the other method.
      Asphaltboy More Beer - More Cheer

Comment

Hmm, they both sound lovely. Has anyone tried the mango juice recipe though?

Comment

i just started 23ltrs of Mango Wine (2). i stuck mostly to the recipe, just added potassium metabisulphite and some bentonite at the start, and a vitamin B1.

i'm a bit impatient (to say the least) and don't really like the sound of racking every 2 months, forever. what do you think about filtering after fermentation is finished and its degassed and stabilised?

what kind of filter would you use?

thx steve

Comment

The wine needs to be quite clear before you filter it, if you try to filter a wine that hasn't cleared fully then you will block your filter pads up very quickly.

The point of a filter is to polish the wine, a wine that you think may be clear often has solids still in suspension, run the wine through a filter and the difference is amazing.

A tutorial about using the Harris filter can be found here -

National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Steve, you could use finings to persuade the wine to clear, then filter to 'polish', as described by Richard.

However, many fruit wines need time to become drinkable, so you may as well give it time to clear in its own time, and think about using finings if it still isn't clear after 6 months or so.

I made a rhubarb wine in September 2008. It is only just drinkable now, so a couple of days ago I added finings to get rid of the last of the suspended particles, and tomorrow I'll filter it, sweeten to taste and bottle it.
              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

actually, it seems to have cleared very well by itself already and it tastes ok but a bit dry and lifeless. i'd like it to have a very solid fruity, sweet, mango flavor. i was thinking of adding some fresh mango juice, does that sound like plan? should i add now or wait a few months?

i already stabilized with pot meta and pot sorbate so it shouldn't start fermenting again. it might get a bit cloudy i guess? should i add more pectic enzyme maybe?

i'd like it to end up clear and golden and mango tasting.

thx steve

Comment

sweeten using grape concentrate of grape juice, the mango juice will for sure cloud it up (siuspended solids) it may however clear after time....but i think grape concentrate is the way to go. maybew add a little glycerine too?
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                  X