Further Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further Education

I propese to put together a course, the intent being to produce VWC wine judges, level 1 judges to be able to assess and score wines, and level 2 judges (or whatever title we give them) to be able to assess wines and score them, but also be able to offer advice on how to improve the wines, and how to become better winemakers.

This will (likely) take the form of home study initially, but also would require attendance at (perhaps two) seminar/training sessions

Level 1 judges would need to be able to assess and mark wines effectively, and match the mark given by judges beforehand to the wine

level two judges would need to be able to pass a winemaking theory exam

and then a wine assessment exam, where the candidate would be required to assess and mark wines effectively, to be able to identify major faults, and to offer remedies for same
    Anyone interested in the program please let me know here or via email or PM

persons qualifying after the course would be awarded the staus of VWC judge...a title that will carry (I am sure) much weight in the future

anyone could take part in the course, even those not wishing to become judges, but perhaps simply to become better winemakers....

there may be some costs involved, but they would be minimal (just to cover sosts, as ever, i refuse to make money from the forum)

everyones thoughts welcomed

regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 26-10-2010, 10:41 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

ill give it a go.
    http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
    http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Top man Ian
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Now that I have resigned from the executive committee of the guild of wine and beer judges, I wish to push the VWC more, because I have (a little) more time, and I see it as the future of the hobby. We will continue to work very closely with the Yorkshire Federation, who have given us much support when none was forthcoming from elsewhere.

The idea will be (eventually) to have VWC judges spread around the country, liaising with home brew stores and encouraging their customers to take part in VWC meetings and comps. Helping to educate new winemakers, and futher the hobby, promoting the online meetings, and the VWC website which will likely become a seperate entity (or not...we shall see) developing winemaking tutorials and video tutorials, geared to the needs of the membership. We have many members from both sides of the pond and on mainland Europe. We perhaps have an opportunity to reach out in a way that no-one has before, to perhaps start something quite vibrant and exciting, who knows?

Plans are at the very early stages, but I would welcome input from interested parties.

cheers me dears
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I would love to do a course, although not sure if it would be to judge or just to try and satisfy my never ending quest for learning.

I do agree that the VWC is the way forward though, I was delighted to stumble across it and that was by fluke, maybe I could contribute a few tips and tricks about SEOing the site and web marketing which is what I do by day.

Comment

Happy to hear suggestions about search engine optimisation.....

but it would need to be for free......

no money is made by the site, it is provided free for the membership (I would also like it to stay that way) and so large sums of money are not available to spend on SEO

everyone is welcome to join in

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Sorry for not making it clearer, I meant chipping in ideas for free. After all I have already benefitted from the community...

The forum shows up in google for some obscure searches and yet not at all for 'wine circle', I'm sure I can put together some easy and not too time consuming things you can do to get things moving.

Comment

Top man....look forward to it
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Where do I sign?
                  Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

nice one

sounds excellent, though not to sure about judging but extra learning is always good :-)

Comment

My highly developed taste buds will welcome some help.

So far I can tell wet from dry, sweet from sour and hot from cold. My wine expertise covers the range 'I like it' and 'I don't like it', I will willingly follow the course. Only problem is the distance from south west Devon to Yorkshire for the onsite parts of the course.

Comment

Well...

the majority of the course would be distance learning, and for those a long way off, we could make that even more distance learning.

The final examination could possibly be done somewhere other than Yorkshire even (I travel to Telford open show each year) and the National Competition is in Weston Super Mare every other year, so thats perhaps a possibility too
                        Last edited by lockwood1956; 27-10-2010, 09:16 PM.
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

some of it could even be done as a video conference online
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I think I would be interested in the course but not sure my palate is up to judging!

Comment

Becoming a judge takes time....the training will take you in the right direction, and at the very least make you a better winemaker. it will be up to each member how far along the course they go

regards
                              Bob
                              Last edited by lockwood1956; 22-11-2012, 07:00 AM. Reason: typos
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X