Bottle-Cleaning Label-gooo...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottle-Cleaning Label-gooo...!

Simple solution for getting that yuk-stuff off your bottles. Not too expensive and very simple.

Kleeneze do an aerosol "Sticky Stuff Remover" @ around £5 a can

I soak used commercial wine-bottles in hand-hot water and if the label comes off in one piece, then bingo, job done. More often that not, it doesn't and so I resort to using a large flat-bladed carving knife to scrape off most of the stuff. This will usually leave a deposit of rubbery glue-goo in places on the bottle. (For some reasons it seems that French bottles are worst)

Leave the bottle to dry and then apply a little squirt of the Kleeneze Sticky-Stuff Remover. Spread the liquid over the bottle's label area, using the palm of your hand, until the goo is disolved, then clean off with paper towel. Hey presto - job done, leaving a nice clean and grease-free bottle.

Hope this helps sort an annoying problem for others.

No, I'm NOT on commission

Regards, Alun (jonesthephones)
    P.S. Listen to my music on: www.youtube.com/jonesthephones

Originally posted by jonesthephones View Post
    Simple solution for getting that yuk-stuff off your bottles. Not too expensive and very simple.

Kleeneze do an aerosol "Sticky Stuff Remover" @ around £5 a can

I soak used commercial wine-bottles in hand-hot water and if the label comes off in one piece, then bingo, job done. More often that not, it doesn't and so I resort to using a large flat-bladed carving knife to scrape off most of the stuff. This will usually leave a deposit of rubbery glue-goo in places on the bottle. (For some reasons it seems that French bottles are worst)

Leave the bottle to dry and then apply a little squirt of the Kleeneze Sticky-Stuff Remover. Spread the liquid over the bottle's label area, using the palm of your hand, until the goo is disolved, then clean off with paper towel. Hey presto - job done, leaving a nice clean and grease-free bottle.

Hope this helps sort an annoying problem for others.

No, I'm NOT on commission
    Me ? I use a razor blade to remove the paper and then "Preptone" which is a multi-purpose solvent, for removing glue residues from auto paint surfaces - from the nearest "Autosmart" dealer (about £20 a gallon - which goes a very, very long way).....
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by jonesthephones View Post
      "Sticky Stuff Remover"@ around £5 a can
      Aldi have been selling the 250ml bottles of 'Sticky Stuff' for £2.29 (£3.99 at Lakeland, £4.99 at Halfords, £6.25 at Amazon) since 28/10/10:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_16066.htm
      Last edited by David; 22-11-2010, 08:49 AM.
      My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

white spirit, Paraffin and petrol work too.

Is there a DIY opportunity for a machine/unit/tool to do this if you are doing batches.

We winemakers can be an inventive lot.

I have an egg washer which sounds improbable, but works very well.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks for the info David

I'll pop down to my local Aldi, but fear I may have missed the boat for the bottled Sticky-Stuff Remover. We used to get that from Kleeneze at a similar price, but they've now dumped it and gone for the aerosol can instead, at twice the bottle-price...

Cheers

Regards, Alun (jonesthephones)
          P.S. Listen to my music on: www.youtube.com/jonesthephones

Comment

Wd40

WD40 is a much cheaper alternative to the more expensive sticky stuff remover,
            just squirt it on, leave it on for a few mins and wash off with hot water.
            some labels will need longer than others,

plus as it is based on fish oils it is a natural bidegradable product...

Comment

Originally posted by Trogolodyte View Post
              plus as it is based on fish oils it is a natural bidegradable product...
              A myth, I'm afraid. WD40 is a petroleum based product. And contrary to popular belief, it won't cure arthritis either...

But it will help break down label glue.
              Steve

Comment

Do 45 life hacks listed here, including deterring pigeons, really only require a can of WD-40?

I can also confirm that wd40 does not de-ice a car windscreen (as OH picked up the wrong spray can).
                My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

I can confirm GIN does de-ice windscreens if that helps!

.. and it does help arthritis (temporarily)
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Funny this should come up - I have just bee caught out!!

My method is an overnight soak, followed by a sweeping motion with a knife. it becomes quite apparent which label have a water based glue and will clean up easily. Anything else goes to the recycling.

IMAGINE my surprise to find a bottle with a rear label water based and a spirit based front label?

Do better wines have better (??) spirit based labels?

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                      Do better wines have better (??) spirit based labels?
                      No. I find the opposite to be true more often. Cheap wines seem to use the most powerful glue, while the expensive bottle labels slide right off with minimal soaking.

Tim Vandergrift of Winemaker Magazine has a different explanation, though I can't corroborate it:
                      "You can blame the nuclear-powered front-label glue on the Australian wine industry. Back in the 80's an Aussie wine exec was travelling in New York and was proud to see a bottle of his wine in an ice bucket in a restaurant he was dining. To his horror, however, he saw the bottle lifted out of the ice and the label slipped off so nobody in the room could see the winery name and logo! As you can imagine, this was a disaster from his point of view. He flew straight home and changed all of their labels to waterproof, bulletproof, apocalypse-proof glue, and that's been the Australian standard ever since, and spread to a bunch of other new world wine areas too. "
                      Steve

Comment

I use a modified wallpaper steamer for removing labels and also for applying new foils to bottles.
                        Does anyone else do this or am I just being weird using my old Bosch steamer for these jobs? I also find its good for an initial sterilisation/cleaning of the internal of the bottle
                        Stuart

View My Current BrewTrax Stat's here
                        BrewTrax forum discount details here

Comment

Limonene is what you want. it is also known as citrus terpenes. It is slightly flammable but honks of oranges. It is basically the oil you get in the skin of oranges (fun fact, if you stick your finger nail in the skin of an orane you can set fire to the stuff that squirts out).

It is a envirofriendly solvent and is brilliant at taking of sticky labels, even the most stubborn of glues melts before it!
                          Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                          Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                          -Police Squad

Comment

wowser - is Limonene £20 a liter?

Comment

I use plain old white spirit..i give the bottle a soak first,,then scrap the label off with a back of a knife, then rub with a cloth with white spirit on it. Then wash it off with soapy water,,,i always got spirit about,,so easy and cheap..
                              Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

Working...
                              X