Elderflower Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderflower Problem

ME and the missus started an Elderflower wine back in the summer from fresh flowers.
    However I overlooked the need to ensure no green at all was in the fermentation process as I left quite a bit in at the start (the small green stems holding the flower heads).
    The green elderflower snell has definetly carried through into the smell of the wine which I am bulk storing at the moment (5 Gal). The wine itself tastes not too bad at the moment but the green bouqet is definetly off-putting!
    My question is, does anyone know that if left over time this smell would possibly mellow or is this something I may need to put through to experience and pass the wine to the big drain in the sky?

Any help/comments greatly appreciated

any thoughts anyone ?

Comment

Elderflower Greenery

I make fresh elderflower each year and haven't had any such "green bouquet" problem. It's nigh on impossible to get rid completely of ALL green stems. So long as the main stems are removed (simple scissors + TLC + patience job). If your win'es already maturing in bulk, then I'd be tempted to let Father Time assist and check it in two or three months' time and ditch it later only if it's still unbearable. 'Course this ties up your bulk vessel(s) but may be worth the wait. You could always sweeten it a little in the hope of masking the unwanted bouquet..?!?

Regards, Alun (jonesthephones)
      P.S. Listen to my music on: www.youtube.com/jonesthephones

Comment

a bubbly racking might help too
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

not a cure for this wine....but in future only use the sweet smelling flowers......not the ones that smell cat-pee like
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            not a cure for this wine....but in future only use the sweet smelling flowers......not the ones that smell cat-pee like
            Thanks Bob, Ive the space there at the moment but come spring I should imagine Ill need the carboy so by then I may have to ditch it then. Ill make an update then. Fingers crossed though.
            But yes this summer I shall be making a clear effort with the elderflowers ( I have not been discouraged yet )

Comment

Not sure if this is the right .......but ?

Just read this and not sure if it is the best place for my question. I am thinking about making a wine number 3 but using a few gooseberrys instead of the kiwi's and then putting some of the fresh elderflowers in towards the end of the ferment. I was wondering if anyone knew how much to add of the flowers and what is the (i am sure this has been asked alot before) is the best super market white grape juice to use (does it have to be clear? I obviously would like a clear wine) and have people had problems with the acid in gooseberry's?

Many thanks

Comment

Wine No 3 does not include gooseberries, or elderflowers

that would be a different wine

if you wish to learn, and become a better winemaker....... follow wines No 1 to No4 omitting no detail, no matter how slight. and untill you put the basics in place, please do NOT attempt to tweak the recipes You dont have the skills at this point (no disrespect meant.........)

regards
                bob
                Last edited by lockwood1956; 26-05-2011, 08:56 PM.
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

We are losing (through my reading of recent posts by many people) sight of what is required.

you need to build your skills........

do that first ...before you start tweaking

makes sense surely?
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

It does indeed make a great deal of sense. Consider myself schooled with my new learning objectives (still might have a play too though)

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                      (still might have a play too though)

knock yourself out dude

experimentation is the key to discovering new s**t

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                      X