Clear All

• Peach (Tinned)

Peach (Tinned)

1 411g tin peaches
    Sugar to SG 1.080
    1 teaspoon citric acid
    1 Tsblespoon (3 teaspoons) pectic enzyme
    1/2 teaspoon tannin
    1 nutrient tablet (B1) (or 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient)
    Sauternes yeast
    Water to 1 gallon

recipe above is for a light dry table wine, for fuller bodied wine use two tins of peaches and increase the sugar to SG of 1.090 increase citric acid to two teaspoons and increase tannin to 1 teaspoon.

Remove the fruit and keep the juice to one side, Mash the fruit and put into primary fermenter, boil two quarts of water and dissolve the sugar in it and pour over the fruit pulp. allow to cool to tepid (70 F) add the acid, tannin and pectic enzyme, stir well and cover and leave in a warm place.
    Next day stir and add the juice from the can, the yeast nutrient and yeast and water to 1 gallon, fir airlock and leave in a warm place for ten days, shake the jar daily to disperse the pulp through the liquid. after this time strain into a new fermenter, top up and ferment out, racking and bottling as normal

recipe courtesy of Winemaking with canned and dried fruit (C.J.J. Berry)
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 05-11-2009, 06:38 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

1 large can peaches in light syrup ( I think they are 28 oz, not sure)
    2- 11.5 oz cans white grape-peach juice concentrate
    1 gallon spring water
    2 crushed campden tablets
    1 tsp. tartaric acid
    1/4 tsp tannin powder
    1 tsp yeast nutrient
    1 tsp pectic enzyme powder
    sugar dissolved in must to SG 1.085
    1/2 tsp potassium sorbate
    K1-V1116 yeast

use 1 campden tablet in must
    1 can concentrate in must
    follow your normal winemaking routine using a fine mesh straining bag
    stabilize at dryness with the other campden tablet and the potassium sorbate
    sweeten at next racking with the other can of concentrate
    rack no more than once monthly until clear

I started my last batch as 5 gallons with a yeast starter, SG 1.084 @ 70*F and went dry at SG .992 @ 72*F. Stabilized, racked, sweetened at next racking, still waiting for it to clear.

Did I leave anything out?
    REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I've just given one of these a go. I used:

4 tins tesco's value peaches and syrup
      2 tsp citric acid
      1 tsp tannin
      3 litres welch's grape and peach juice
      sugar to sg1075
      water to 2 gallons
      yeast

Currently fermenting away like mad, hopefully it turns out ok.

Comment

28p - 411g Tin From Morrisons

Now is a good a time to give this recipe a go as Morrisons are selling 411g tins for 28p (We eat some today in a fruit salad and the Peachs are fine)

I brought some 2 weeks ago from our local Aldi and paid 39p for the same size tin, but wanted a fuller bodied wine so I used 6 x 411g cans only transfered it from the bucket into the DJ on the 28th April (using Bobs recipe) so cant give a comment on how good it is yet, but for 28p a tin its worth a go..........and even more so as the wife works for Morrisons and gets a 10% discount

Comment

HI Lockwood, i want to try making 4 gallons of this wine with a good body to it ( i.e legs in glass) in a 5 gallon bucket. Being new to this hobby can you give me a more detailed recipe/procedure as how to make this wine, i shall be using a champagne yeast , if this is a daft question i apologise for my ignorance .
          Last edited by Drunken bum; 15-05-2009, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Hi there
            No not a daft question at all.....

but bear in mind it isnt just about body, or any one aspect of a wine, balance is EVERYTHING (ask a tightrope walker)

if you want more body, use two tins of peaches per gallon, it will never be a big wine though. You can also add grape concentrate, at a rate of approx /(use your hydrometer) 1 litre per gallon, but only use one tin of peaches.

For more detailed recipe/methodlogy look at the new winemaker series of tutorials, they will help you to understand the principles involved in making wine from different ingredients.

hope this helps
            regards
            bob
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Please also see here

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Hi Lockwood ,many thanks for the advice , will let you know how i get on, cheers for now

Comment

Hi lockwood , HELP PLEASE , i was told that by whisking half an egg white to some water and adding it to my wine it would help clear it , i added this mixture to my cloudy pomegranate, a day later it has turned a muddy brown colour , is it ruined ?
                  Last edited by Drunken bum; 17-05-2009, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken bum View Post
                    Hi lockwood , HELP PLEASE , i was told that by whisking half an egg white to some water and adding it to my wine it would help clear it , i added this mixture to my cloudy pomegranate, a day later it has turned a muddy brown colour , is it ruined ?
                    I'd leave it and see if it all drops to the bottom

As was discussed in another thread, egg whites are an outdated and ancient means of clearing, get some Kwik Clear or Bentonite

Comment

Hi. i have used the kwik clear with great results but i hadnt any left so i used this instead , never again i think as you say it may turn out ok in time , fingers crossed praise be the lord , but you live and learn i suppose ,chin chin for now

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken bum View Post
                        Hi. i have used the kwik clear with great results but i hadnt any left so i used this instead , never again i think as you say it may turn out ok in time , fingers crossed praise be the lord , but you live and learn i suppose ,chin chin for now
                        fingers crossed

Comment

Hi Tuco, if its not clearing in a day or so should i filter it , i have a boots /harris type filter , or just filter it anyway? ,chin chin

Comment

I'm no expert, best to wait til a more knowledgeable member comes on, but I wouldn't filter it, as I understand filtering is to give a clear wine a final polish, not to clear it, you could clog up your filter I think

Comment

Well I've never used egg white either, so I can only guess......

I'd leave it, not for a couple of days though, more like a week plus......

at very least.

It might be a case that the egg white has bound itself to any sediment that was already in the wine and hence it's "hanging" in suspension at the moment.

If you have somewhere cool (a fridge if you have the space ?????) then that can often cause the sediment to drop out a bit quicker.

As for filtering, I wouldn't bother at this stage, it will only clog up the filter pads very quickly. In any case, filtration is mainly for "polishing" already cleared wines, rather than trying to remove excess sediment. Which is what it sounds like you've got at the moment.

Personally, once a wine has been racked off the gross lees I tend to leave them to clear naturally - and hey, it's mostly mead that I make so that can take some considerable time.....

regards

JtFB
                              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                              X