Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay i was right, i'm learning all the time

Comment

Cheers guys , for the advice it my wine wasnt that bad before i put the egg whites in , i was tinkering a bit i think , will post to let you all know what happens but my advice to you all, DONT USE EGG WHITE!!!!! lol chin chin

Comment

Egg white is a good fining....but it takes time to take effect....

patience is key

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I have never used egg white finnings. From the reading I have done they actually strip some colour and flavor out of the wine. They are used for white wines. Am I correct on that?
          http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Egg white was a popular fining for removing excessive tannins from elderberry wines.
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

They can be used on any kind of wine, and as well as fining, they also help smooth out rough edges, but are slower acting than modern finings like Kwik clear etc.

But they would be a good method of fining for vegetarians who didnt want to use finings containing crustaceans shells.

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

An alternate method. I like that. I have had customers say they did not like the Quick clear products nor the sparkoloid product as they both contain animal matter. Egg whites do not fall under that category for a purist?All I have been able to recommend to them so far is bentonite or grape tannin powder.Both these will work but have their limitations.
                http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

HI all, i am glad something constructive has come out my little problem and has made other users of this forum aware of alternative methods to clear wine, thats life people , and life is good !!

Comment

Just to set the record straight on egg whites...

Egg whites, gently mixed with water and a pinch of salt, are used to remove excess astringency in red wines. This is a very old technique, but is still widely used. The idea is that proteins attract, and the protein molecules in egg albumen will link up with other protein molecules (tannin, for example) and cause them to drop out of solution.

Egg white is the only fining material I've ever used when making red wines. If you have an astringent wine, it works wonders for smoothing out tannins.

In the past, other animal proteins have also been used to accomplish the same thing, including ox blood, gelatin, and milk. I'm pretty sure that ox blood has been illegal since the BHT scare, and I don't know if milk is used anymore either. But gelatin and egg white are still in wide use. Egg whites are much gentler, however.
                    Steve

Comment

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but has anyone taken this wine further than simply a 'table wine' I have thought of Elderflowers with some Grape Sultanas to ramp up the body?

Comment

Working...
                      X