This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
    The above gave a TA of 5.5g/l as sulphuric which I thought should be OK for a dry white.
    that equates to 8.5 g/l expressed as tartaric Mark...

Judges handbook indicates 5 to 8 g/l

so you are definitely at the upper end of the scale, however, sweetening a tad should balance it nicely. That acidity level whilst "perhaps" a tad high for a dry white, would work nicely for medium or medium sweet.

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

The lychee is quite nice as an off dry I think

Comment

Yeast arrived! Much appreciated!

The red will be a sugar fed berry fruit company juice in the wine number 2 style which is going to be next christmas's port!

The white will be a wine number one....

Presume you'd like us to keep an eye on temperatures for the feedback?

Comment

I've been looking round WAH for a few months now. It's invaluable to a newbie like myself.

Free yeast – I’ll say yes to that!

On the subject of yeast, one thing I've been looking for is a yeast brand/type comparison/characteristics chart of some kind. Lockwood has this which is a great start, but I’d be surprised if someone hadn’t come up a much bigger one before on here!

Thx for all the insight and experience!

Bill
          Last edited by SE11; 02-02-2011, 01:39 PM. Reason: cocked it up!

Comment

Yeast arrived yesterday, many thanks.

This must be costing a bit in postage, can i send some stamps to help with costs

jeff

Comment

Please everyone, don't worry about the postage.
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by SE11 View Post
                On the subject of yeast, one thing I've been looking for is a yeast brand/type comparison/characteristics chart of some kind. Lockwood has this which is a great start, but I’d be surprised if someone hadn’t come up a much bigger one before on here!

you mean like this one?

N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Yes very like that one.

Comment

While we're on the matter of yeast, what's the thought on which for what? When it comes to rosé, should I be using yeast intended for white wine or red wine?

Also, are wine number 1 and its variants improved noticeably by the choice of yeast?

Lately I’ve been trialing some Vintner’s Harvest. Do you think I would notice an improvement over using something like Young’s (any thoughts on Young’s)?

Finally, as long as an appropriate strain is selected, is yeast brand significant or just down to personal choice?

Over to your collective wisdom...

Comment

In my experience, you should use a white yeast for rosés. Lalvin ICV-D47 is an excellent rosé yeast. It is exactly the same as Gervin F, and Vintners Harvest CY17.

This probably isn't the best thread to discuss this in depth (I'll try to find the right one(s)), but yeast choice will, in some cases, significantly influence the character of the wine.

Bear with me and I'll post a link to the most appropriate thread to continue this.
                      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Probably here or here would be the best place(s) to continue a conversation about yeast variants.
                        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Yeast arrived yesterday. Thanks Brian.
                          Simon
                          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

I will be packing the last of the yeast today.

Fingers crossed for all the ferments and I look forward to hearing how it does?

I am planning to get some more for grapefest.
                            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

6 gallons of wine 1 standard off to a flying start, s.g. 1074

Interestingly the yeast doesn't smell massivley 'yeasty' kind of woody?

Comment

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
                                6 gallons of wine 1 standard off to a flying start, s.g. 1074

Interestingly the yeast doesn't smell massivley 'yeasty' kind of woody?
                                It is a new world strain - not (as yet) available in UK, so it will be interesting to see the results.

Comment

Working...
                                X