The Great Lychee Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
    I wonder if mne started better because I make my must up at 22-26C. Although it cooled down to 15-17C overnight maybe the initial high temp kick started it.

regards

mark
    Hi Mark

The must on mine was bang on 20c when mixed and split into the 2 djs. I did wonder why your ferment started so quickly and that could be the explanation.

Rob

Comment

When you originally added the yeast, was there a difference between must temp and yeast temp ? Are we talking about shock here? Yeast can be killed stone dead IME by sudden temp change of perhaps only 2-3 degrees (c)
      Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 08-02-2011, 05:04 PM.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Not quite the same wine,,but my kiwi fruit one is sat at 22c, and after 48 hours the air lock on the bucket is bubbling away quite merrily and you can hear it fizzing too..
        Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
          When you originally added the yeast, was there a difference between must temp and yeast temp ? Are we talking about shock here? Yeast can be killed stone dead IME by sudden temp change of perhaps only 2-3 degrees (c)
          The difference between the yeast and the must temperature was about 4c. You think that was too much?

Rob

Comment

Hooray

I got home from work tonight to find a good inch of foam on top of the must and plenty of airlock action.

Comment

sorted then!!

regards

mark

http://markblades.com
              Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
              These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

This morning I was greeted by an airlock full of lychee. Boy does this stuff foam. The Cellar Rat version has foamed substantially more than the KI V116. Both are at the same temperature 20c but the Lalvin version has managed to remain in the dj.

Comment

7 days from starting and progress has been made.

Lalvin KI V1116 was topped up with sugar syrup (to correct hydrometer error) at day 4 and is now down to SG1.000.

CR White yeast version is down to SG1.008 but that was before topping up. It was slow to start and has been very foamy so I waited to top up. I topped up after checking the SG and within minutes foam shot straight out the airlock.

Comment

A quick update on progress.

The lalvin Lychee appeared to stop fermenting at day 16 with an SG of 0.999. I sort of assumed that it had stuck and did think about trying to restart it but after having left it a week with no change I syphoned it off the lees and had a quick taste and thought it was rather good as it was.

Cellar Rats white yeast version was down to 1.005 on day 21 (27/02/11) and is still slowly fermenting. It is clearing nicely with fairly fluffy sediment compared to the Lalvin version.

I'm certainly looking forwards to drinking both versions if the sip I had is anything to go by, they should taste fab

Rob

Comment

Working...
                    X