Lychee comparison II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lychee comparison II

Slight modification to the recipe following coments on the high acidity of the first batch. Reduced tartaric from 25 -10g and adding the lychee juice as a semi-late addition.

Right, the lychee wine has gone from 1085-1020 in 3 days at about 15C. Just added a litre of lychee juice and pectolase. Still impressively froth free, and no need for the heater!! Very clean smell to the ferment (no sulphides or diacetyl smells).

cheers

Mark

http://markblades.com
    Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
    These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Since adding the lychee juice drink and pectolase the primary has developed an inch of foamy head. Still nothing like the K1v that would have been all over the floor by now.

mark

Comment

Good news, thanks for the update!
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

After, seeing hte advice to heat up the must a bit i switched on my heated tile overnight. Now, I've got a floor full of scuzz to clean up.

Still not as bad as k1v though

regards

mark

Comment

After mini volcano I turned off the brew mat. Must is now down to 1010 so into secondary with it (and clean up the floor).

pics attached. If i can work out how to get them inline i'll do that next time.
          scratch that, it does it automagically!

regards

Mark
          Attached Files
          Last edited by mcblades; 11-02-2011, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Hi Mark

I see from your recipe that this is a fruit juice lychee. Have you made both this and from fruit before? Are there marked differences?

Be interested to know why you are adding the juice late into the ferment. Does it retain more of the flavour? Surely it will just prolong the ferment?

Sorry, lots of newbie questions

Rob

Comment

HI Rob:

Never be sorry for asking questions. The expert on lychee wine I think is Rich (I think it was his recipe that I used initially).

The first time I made this I used tinned lychees which I liquidised (the recipe just calls for the fruit to be roughly chopped I think). I found it a PITA to strain into secondary as the very fine pulp kept blocking my cheesecloth. Also, It threw shed loads of sediment in secondary which meant I had a load of topping up to do at the next racking. This may or may not have been caused by the liquidised fruit. However, given all the hastle it made a really nice dry white with a kind of German/Alsace style Gewurtstrammener scent.

The next attempt, Bob suggested the late addition of fruit and juice(I think at about 1020). This way, more of the fruitiness is left in the must and not blown out through the airlock by the vigorous initial fermentation. Anyway, I added the fruit halved in a clean pop sock along with the syrup. Way easier than the first batch and possibly fruitier but I'd already drunk the first lot so couldn't compare.

I was going to use the latter method for cellar rats trial but noticed lychee drink on offer in lidls. Thought I would try it as a late addition and that's what I have done. I have one batch of this already clearing (fermented with k1v). I think I may have overdone the acid addition a bit on this batch so have put less tartaric in this batch so I can blend it at the end.

With any luck I'll have something good enough for the VWC in May.

WRT prolonging the ferment. I don't think that is much of an issue really. You are not adding a huge amount of sugar and the yeast is already pretty active when you add it. Also, if you account for the additional sugar and liquid volume at the start of the ferment then you will end up with the intended alcohol concentration (important for the balance of the wine).
              cheers

Mark
              Last edited by mcblades; 11-02-2011, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
                After mini volcano I turned off the brew mat. Must is now down to 1010 so into secondary with it (and clean up the floor).

pics attached. If i can work out how to get them inline i'll do that next time.
                scratch that, it does it automagically!

regards

Mark
                I thought that doing my own at a steady 18 degress would avoid the volcano action. I chopped up the fruit and went straight into a 5 litre bottle for primary.

Mistake - I should have learnt from your experience and used a BIG bucket first.

Bill

Comment

Just Bottled the lychee white. Cleared in a couple of days but the sediment was quite fluffy so left for a further 2 weeks. Nice lychee and tropical fruit bouquet on bottling. I will send a bottle to the VWC in april for more expert assessment.

thanks for the yeast

Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X