Chocolate Raspberry Port - Winexpert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocolate Raspberry Port - Winexpert

This was supposed to be a Limited Edition kit, but it appears to have been available for three years. I have no idea whether or not it will be released this year, but if you want one keep talking to your local HBS!

I would start by saying this probably isn't a kit for a novice winemaker - there are a couple more steps than usual, and some people seem to have had difficulty getting the wine to ferment out completely. I have made it twice with no problems, but you have been warned .

The kit makes around 11 litres, so ideally you would use an 11.4 litre 'square' Better Bottle. The only two places I have obtained these are www.hobbywinesupplies.co.uk and www.brewingathome.co.uk (not listed on the sites, but ordered specially). Alternatively, you could use 2 normal DJs and a half-gallon DJ, or if you are rich, buy two kits and use a standard Better Bottle.

The instructions are up to Winexpert's usual high standards. The kit comes with two packs of yeast, presumably because the must starts at such a high SG. The instructions suggest sprinkling both on the must, but I did that with one and made a sort-of starter with the other, hedging my bets.

You don't add any water to this one - there is 11+ litres of concentrate in the box.

When the fermentation reaches a certain point, you add the supplied Dextrose (a sugar) and let it ferment further. Later on you rack to your closed fermenter as normal. Finally you will add a flavour pack.

Temperature control is important with this kit, as is really aerating the must before pitching the yeast.

However, the effort is worth it. The result is tremendous. It is drinkable very quickly (say 3 months), but it is worth setting some aside for at least a year. The bitter chocolate is just about right - noticeable without being overpowering, as is the raspberry. It is rich and full-bodied, so I recommend bottling in 375ml bottles if you can.

Highly recommended.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba
Working...
X