Wine No 1 (sort-a) with Cellar White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine No 1 (sort-a) with Cellar White

Back on the job. Decided to make a Wine No 1 & pro-rate the recipe to a 7 ltire water container.

Of course I didn’t have a bung that fit the water bottle (that would be too easy) so McGivered a grommet from a large tyre valve (new one) to fit the bottle cap. Bored it out enough to take an air-lock

- 2 litres white grape juice
    - 1 litre pear nectar
    - 980 grams sugar (close enough, bit left in 1 Kg bag)
    - ½ teaspoon pectolase
    - 1 teaspoon citric acid
    - 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
    - Cellar White Yeast

The pear nectar was supposed to be apple juice. I read the juice carton in the shop (minimal English content) and it said “100% apple juice”. For some reason I picked up the carton beside it to put in the basket. The pic on the carton of a pear cut in 1/2 is near identical to an apple cut in half.

Fairly thick/cloudy stuff the nectar, reason for adding the pectolase. Thought it was cloudy apple juice to begin with. Had a taste after it was too late, most of it was added.

This nectar though has 140 grams sugar per litre, so that puts the sugar content 12% above the WN1 recipe.

Pitched yeast and stirred after 15 min. No messing there, after 1 hour the airlock is active.

I left a good deal of airspace, about 1.5 litres I estimate, to top up with water after the initial foaming subsides.

Will post results here after 35-40 days
    Keep on Truckin

I have made a Wine No.1 type wine with Pear Nectar. The results were decent. Not mindblowing, but OK. If you have any elderflower syrup or cordial (not dried elderflowers) you might want to try adding some late in the fermentation, to add a bit more complexity.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Thanks for the tip Pete. Don't believe I've seen elderflower anything over where I am now (North Africa). There is every kind of juice here though, if you can think of something along that line I might add.

Supposed to be protests in the next couple of days here, think I'll stay in the compound, barbed wire is my friend now. Of course that means I have to trust the guards, which I don't. This is all good fun until someone losses an eye.
      Keep on Truckin

Comment

Unfortunately I had to dump all my wine!!. Got out of Tripoli yesterday by the skin of my teeth. Total madness and chaos at the airport there. Nothing but BS’ing and luck got me in that airport and on the BP charter that landed LGW Thursday the 24th morning. Got out with the clothes on my back, but never so thankful.
        Keep on Truckin

Comment

Welcome home. - Have a drink!
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Eek, glad to hear you are ok.
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

You can buy more clothes and make more wine. Glad to hear you got out in 1 whole piece.
              Hootus est

Comment

Originally posted by grandmawoods View Post
                You can buy more clothes and make more wine. Glad to hear you got out in 1 whole piece.

Indeed. You can also have some more yeast. Let me know.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Yes, welcome home. What a relief for you.

And don't forget the hydrometer
                  Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Glad you got out in one piece.

Comment

Thanks for the good words folks, and your right Grandma, things of monetary value can be replaced. Least this go around I should be able to make the No 1 with apple juice instead of pear nectare. I must say though the pear version I had on the go smelt nice.
                      Keep on Truckin

Comment

Working...
                      X