This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about 1 Gallon Brew in a bag beer

Please post questions about the new beer making tutorials here.

I'll also remind everyone that the hot wort is basically a saturated sugar solution and should be handled with the same fear/reverence/respect that you would treat any hot sugary liquid with.
    Last edited by Rich; 01-03-2011, 04:25 PM.
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

No questions at the moment, but I appear to be the official beer-novice-guinea-pig. I'll be starting mine tomorrow, using a prototype ingredients kit, so I'll try to post feedback and questions as soon as I can.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Also,

The actual quantities will differ slightly due to evaporation in different stockpots. Don't get too hung up if your final amount comes out at less than a demijohn full, if the SG is too high you can water it down a bit. If it's too low, then we'll figure out where it went not quite right.

Comment

Taking Rich's advice, I started with 7.5l water instead of 7. In the end I ended up with just under 5l at 1.050. We decided the best thing to do was to go with that, but after putting the phone down I decided to ignore that and add a bit of water . Once I had 5 litres in total, I was bang on 1.049, which was nice .
        Pete the Instructor

Comment

What a great Tutorial

will try it at the weekend (time permitting)

top job
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            What a great Tutorial
            I agree. I have always avoided making beer because I believed the process was slow, messy and smelly.

I started cleaning down worktops at 8am this morning and by 2.30pm everything was cleaned up and put away. That sounds a long time, but for much of that time you can't so anything anyway - you are waiting for things to heat up, boil or cool down. I used that time to rack some wine, bottle other wine, and even had a bit of time to watch some cricket . I am slower than many with my wine work too, so maybe someone a bit more organised could cut this time down a bit.

The process is no messier than making a couple of gallons of wine no.1.

Smelly? Well, your house will smell of Horlicks for a couple of hours, but I happen to like Horlicks .

Thanks to Rich for producing a clear and concise guide. It must be pretty idiot-resistant for me to follow it.
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

Yes, concur there. An excellent tutorial, except for the laziest home brewer.....

So, I won't be making any, any time soon........
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

If anyone is looking for a value-for-money stock pot, you could try this:

Pete the Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                  Yes, concur there. An excellent tutorial, except for the laziest home brewer.....

So, I won't be making any, any time soon........
                  Not even a milk stout version John? Sample in the post soon, (if it's drinkable)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                    Not even a milk stout version John? Sample in the post soon, (if it's drinkable)
                    Would love to, but unless we managed to drop the lottery, to have enough space for beer making as well. The mead takes up enough space as it is.......

regards

jtfb

p.s. Oh and of course, time is a bit of an issue as well !
                    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

"After 2 to 6 days the krausen will drop."

Can you define 'drop' please?

Disappear?

Subside?

Ta
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

The thick foam on top will go down.

Hopefully not to reappear when you put it in a demijohn, then spill all over your carpet/table.

Comment

So that's more 'subside' than 'drop' then?
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

You're obviously reading this too early in the day, but subside will be fine!

Comment

Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                              X