This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racked, primed and bottled.

I managed to get 9 x 300ml and 4 x 330ml bottles full, so that's just over 4 litres. I'm not worried about the shortfall - this is about gaining experience and technique.

It tastes promising though, even in its young, uncarbonated form. Fingers crossed that it actually carbonates now
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

crushed malt

The brew in a bag beer looks fascinating. I have made plenty of beer kits but this seems somehow more authentic.

Sorry to sound silly but the recipe calls for malt. how/where does one purchase this? i assume this is not the tins of spraymalt or malt syrup but a solid grain?

does one need to crush the grain oneself and if so how?

is it a lot cheaper than buying beer kits?

having now discovered the joys of country wines and making it with free flowers and fruits im intrigued at the possibility of making beer from scratch without an expensive all grain setup.

Comment

The malt can be bought crushed and ready for use. I bought my last batch here: www.themaltmiller.co.uk.

Making beer this way is never going to be cheap, but the resulting beer really is good (my background: reasonably experienced winemaker but only on my 5th batch of beer).

The only additional kit I have purchased is a 11 litre pot and a crown capper.
        Pete the Instructor

Comment

thanks for the prompt reply!
          looking at the site you mentioned the cost is a lot cheaper than i thought considering a two can kit comes in at twenty pounds and not much cheaper for one can and fermentables.
          thank you for the link i must try this recipe!

Comment

You also only get a gallon of beer from this recipe, unlike 5 gallons from a beer kit. It is a great starter way to get into all grain without too much extra equipment to start with.

Karl at Hobbywine can also put you a kit of ingredients together. As can Rob at Maltmiller if you email him. The grain usually comes crushed unless you ask for it differently.

Comment

Thanks for the info...

I had always, perhaps mistakenly, assumed that grains would be prohibitively expensive but even 5 kilos of malt and some hops comes in around the same as a kit i think.
              The taste is what its all about plus the satisfaction of doing it myself so my next question is..

how does the taste of biab compare to, say, a kit or a bottled beer?

Comment

Far superior to a kit, better than some bottled beers, but then there are some very good bottled beers out there.

but streets ahead of your budweissers etc

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

With a kit you are sort of limited to what the kit is, but you could tweek it with a few steeped grains etc and more hops. Doing an all grain brew you can make whatever you want. Brew in a bag is very popular in Australia, they have a forum dedicated to it and it's very informative.

THe other consideration is time. A kit beer you can get on and have brewing in not long at all. All grain can take all day, or at least most of it.

Taste wise, it's down to what you like. Some kits I can't tell the difference, where as some you can. I've tasted good and bad of both. I brew full all grain as I like it, and the time doesn't bother me. The freedom to brew what you want is great.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                    budweisser
                    That should be in the swear filter..

Comment

lol

fair enough
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

thanks for the info i too rather enjoy the time spent brewing so that is a bonus for me.
                        i have brewed coopers kits and woodfordes with great results but would like to experiment so biab seems ideal.
                        thanks for your help

Comment

All of my brews seem to have taken 6 hours start -to - finish, no matter how fast I try to go.

That includes preparation, cleaning the kitchen and clearing up afterwards. Most of that 6 hours is waiting, so I normally manage to mow lawns and get other jobs done too.

I intend to keep making beer this way because I just don't have the space - the house is full of wine. I don't drink large amounts of beer, but I do like a nice drop now and then.
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

Help.

Been having a go at this this morning. When the post boil steep has finished, do you strain off, using sterilised equipment of course , into the 10 gallon primary and allow to cool in that or do you sort of fish them out with a sterlised sieve.
                            Simon
                            "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

I'd leave them in, and put the whole pot into a sink of cold ice water for an hour or two to get the temp down. Then pour through a sieve into primary. Once it's cold the aeration will be good for the yeast.

Comment

OK thanks Rich. Would it matter if I leave it a few hours or will that make it too bitter? Promised to take the kids out this afternoon.

Also stupid question but do I need to do a 30 minute hot steep and the hour or so cold.
                                Simon
                                "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Working...
                                X