Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribena Acidity/ pH Help

Hi All,

I want to know the acidity/ pH of Ribena Blackcurrant Cordial with a view to substituting the citric acid in a wine number 2 with it.

I understand that buying an acid test kit is a bit pointless because of the colours involved (i.e. purple solution and purple/red indicator). So I have 3 options... I'm not really keen on the idea of spending a load of cash on other methods of ph/ acid testing...

a) Does anyone know the acid content of Ribena Syrup (Or the subsequent wine from a known recipe?)
    b) Can anyone/ will anyone with the facilities be kind enough to test it for me?
    c) Is there anywhere i can send a sample to get it tested easily/ cheaply? I don't mind paying a few quid for it...

Regards

Daniel

Isn't the acidity of Ribena in a spreadsheet for brew design called something like YoBrew? (a link to which has been posted on the site).
    My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

That's true david, but the results contradict recipe's that i see so i was wondering if anyone had actually tested it. I also thought i'd seen something on here about someone setting up some kind of testing service but a search couldn't find anything.

Comment

I have a RITCHIE acid test kit, and would test some Ribena if I used it, but as (according to the labelling) it's only 22% juice content and supermarkets' own brand blackcurrant 'High Juice' goes up to 50% juice and cost less than Ribena, I'll always use the former (or my own steam juice extracted blackcurrant juice which is also around 50% pure juice).
        My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
          I also thought i'd seen something on here about someone setting up some kind of testing service but a search couldn't find anything.
          That would be Koomber
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
            I understand that buying an acid test kit is a bit pointless because of the colours involved (i.e. purple solution and purple/red indicator).
            The Ritchies acid test kit works fine for reds....you simply dilute the test sample with distilled water till it is very pale pink, the colour change is very easy to see then. (diluting with distilled water doesnt affect the test result)

I would test it for you but dont own any ribena (I'm sure someone will do it for you though)

hope that helps
            regards

bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
            X