No announcement yet.

Foaming heck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a whole new world of debate you have started here. PET - HDPE - Stainless - glass - Better bottle's.

I seem to recall all the supermarkets do a 5l "basic's" bottled water. There have been rumours of people buying water based on the quality of the plastic

There are also some excellent threads about grommets - the rubber thingy that you need to put in the hole before the airlock to make everything airtight.

Me? I like dustbins.

The question is possibly what size to you need?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Apologies for coming to the party late but a couple of suggestions. After suffering an elderberry explosion in the kitchen, Goldseal saved the day by suggesting Flash Spray with bleach. It took a couple of goes but did do the trick

I now start all of my wines in a bucket and rack at 1010 into demijohns to finish off. This seems to speed up the fermenting process too. As for the PET - HDPE - Stainless - glass - Better bottle's debate I use a six gallon fermenter with airlock along with a variety of of 10, 25 and 30 litre buckets. For clearing I have a variety of 4.5 and 5 litre glass demijohns while for long term storage I use supermarket 5 litre water bottles. One word of warning though. I learned the hard way that the water bottles are very unstable with a racking cane and tube in it. Believe me, half a litre of elderberry wine over the old noggin and down your back is not as funny as everyone else thinks...or maybe it is
      Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

Never thought about stability. I like the 54l glass demijohns or shiney stainless lumps.

PS. It is funny
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

The containers in the pictures

The ones in the pics come from my local supermarkets - T*sco and Sainsb*ry's. They are 5 litre still water containers and cost about £1.00 - plus some free water! I've not seen any larger apart from the ones used for water coolers.

With a good wash a bit of potassium met sulp they are easily and safely reused. The ones you see are on their eighth use.

Buy the commercially available replacement caps with grommits fitted (also about £1 I think). The other option is to drill your own and fit a grommet for the airlock. One tip is to use a blutak type product to improve the quality and flexibility of the airtight seal at the airlock/grommet.

Bill
          Last edited by SE11; 07-04-2011, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SE11 View Post

With a good wash a bit of potassium met sulp

Bill
            Cripes just how dirty are your supermarkets !!

Comment

ooh you is harsh

on the grammar and sentence construction...in between brews I meant, CR, in between brews.

Comment

Working...
              X