Foaming heck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foaming heck!

Inspired by the free yeast and the recent rise of the lychee variant of wine number 1 I've brought the two together myself in a 5 litre water bottle.

Recipe white:
    1 lire WGJ
    1 litre clear apple juice - both from the shop with club card points
    1 small Young's WGJ concentrate
    1 tin lychees in light syrup (john west I think)
    3/4 litre rubicon lychee juice drink (a massive 18% juice and some thickening agents, but looks like no preservative)
    30ml fresh orange (no bits) (left over in the fridge)
    slug of elderflower cordial (ditto)
    1/8th tsp tanin
    2 tsp pectolase
    2 tsp tartaric acid
    1 tsp mixed acid
    Aprx 400g sugar to 1.080
    1/4 tsp Cellar rat's white yeast

Last week I bottled a lychee made with only one tin of lychee. The lychee nose was only just there and very light. Nice touch of acid and a bit of character. This time thought I'd try and increase the gewurztraminer characteristics with more lychee and fruit.

Rehydrated the yeast at the same temp as the stock - 18 degrees. Pitched into stock after 15 minutes. Some activity with a couple of hours. Within 24 the airlock had some movement. This morning (48 hours), as the pic shows, up and out of the airlock.

Have some extra juice reserved for topping up and racking.

Also having a go with a rose WN1. First time I've added RGJ concentrate and so far looks more like a red than usual - maybe I'll end up with something a bit like a beaujolais n. or hopefully a brouilly.

Recipe rose:
    1 lire RGJ
    1 litre clear apple juice - both from the shop with club card points
    1 small Young's RGJ concentrate
    100ml litre rubicon lychee juice drink (a massive 18% juice and some thickening agents, but looks like no preservative)
    30ml fresh orange (no bits) (left over in the fridge)
    slug of elderflower cordial (ditto)
    1/8th tsp tanin
    1 tsp pectolase
    3/4 tsp tartaric acid
    1/2 tsp mixed acid
    Aprx 600g sugar to 1.080
    1/4 tsp Cellar rat's red yeast

Same technique as above. 24 hours in some signs of activity.

Attached Files

From reading other's posts, the Rubicon juice does foam quite a lot, and I have noticed that Cellar Rat's mystery yeast does foam more than some. Put them together ....
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Does the red yeast foam as much as the white yeast ??
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

foaming heck - II

An update 12 hours on from the last pics - boy does it foam in a volcanic sort of way...

This is where my production lives under the stairs - with lychee ferment blown out of the airlock and up the wall. Still coming out now.

Hopefullty the rose/red won't go that way, but precautions will be taken. It seems a little behind on where the white was this time yesterday. I'll keep you posted.

Attached Files

Comment

EEK!

Always start pulp ferments in a bucket, and only transfer to DJ after racking off the solids at around SG 1.010

if using thicker juices it is also best to start in bucket as the CO2 produced by fermentation forces the pulp to the top and you see the result .Also if the airlock blocks it can create pressure in the DJ, you wouldn't believe how far a popped (bunged up) airlock can spread wine

regards
          Bob
          Last edited by lockwood1956; 14-03-2011, 09:10 PM.
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Yup Rubicon juice does encourage foaming.

Even in a 10 litre bucket it reached the top.

Comment

I would aslo advise not filling the DJ as full as you have even with juice ferments, prolly just to where the slope on the neck starts, and top up once vigorous part of ferment subsides.

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Now you tell me! God knows what it'll take to get if off the wall - god forbid what will happen to me if the rose goes that way too - there's only so much BS that the other one will swallow!

Comment

At least I reserved some of the base to top up with. Having read about the speed of gravity drop with this combo I'll take a SG reading tomorrow and see where it's gone down to.

I presume the reaction to a top-up will be a lot calmer...?

Comment

Originally posted by SE11 View Post
                    Now you tell me!
                    I have lost count of the amount of times I have given that same advice

Rose stains, in fact wwinemaking stains of any colour dont seem to sit well with women (no sense of humour see....I'll get me coat!)
                    regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

The SG of the lychee is down to 1.036 after 72 hours. The foam has changed to a much smaller bubble, carrying less debris and almost a champagne like froth and bright white.

A bit of overflow and spatter from the rose but nowhere near as bad.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by SE11 View Post
                        A bit of overflow and spatter from the rose but nowhere near as bad.
                        Result
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Progress

The rose with the CR red yeast has calmed right down. After 84 hours we have no foam at all and the SG is down to 1.056. I've topped up with reserved base solution. Vigorous airlock action.

The CR lychee continues to have a collar of small white bubbles. I've also topped this up with reserved base solution. Vigorous airlock action as well.

Hopefully nothing to worry about at this stage, but opening the fermenter to top up yesterday there was a definite hint of bad eggs - not something I've not noticed when using other yeasts for lychee.

Bill

Comment

Bad eggs smell is normally a sign of nutrient deficiency - did you add some in the first instance? Didn't see any in the recipe!
                            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

If its just a hint then probably just fermentation taking its course. Every ferment is different. A pinch of nutrient may help a little but if the SG is dropping quickly yeasties are probably not too stressed and they certainly seem to be active!
                              Simon
                              "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Working...
                              X