Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Foaming heck!

The SG of the lychee is down to 1.036 after 72 hours. The foam has changed to a much smaller bubble, carrying less debris and almost a champagne like froth and bright white.

A bit of overflow and spatter from the rose but nowhere near as bad.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by SE11 View Post
    A bit of overflow and spatter from the rose but nowhere near as bad.
    Result
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Default Progress

The rose with the CR red yeast has calmed right down. After 84 hours we have no foam at all and the SG is down to 1.056. I've topped up with reserved base solution. Vigorous airlock action.

The CR lychee continues to have a collar of small white bubbles. I've also topped this up with reserved base solution. Vigorous airlock action as well.

Hopefully nothing to worry about at this stage, but opening the fermenter to top up yesterday there was a definite hint of bad eggs - not something I've not noticed when using other yeasts for lychee.

Bill

Bad eggs smell is normally a sign of nutrient deficiency - did you add some in the first instance? Didn't see any in the recipe!
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free you gotta love this red wine diet!

If its just a hint then probably just fermentation taking its course. Every ferment is different. A pinch of nutrient may help a little but if the SG is dropping quickly yeasties are probably not too stressed and they certainly seem to be active!
    Simon
    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Agreed - very gently. A pinch.
    The last thing you need is too much at this late stage.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free you gotta love this red wine diet!

Default Nutrient

I know I put it in the rose mix cos it's listed on the post it - 1/2 tsp - so I probably put it in the lychee but didn't write it in my notes.

I'll take an SG reading later and hope for the best. The action in the fermenter has slowed but it still looks acceptable for this stage.

The rose is really going for it, great airlock action, but with no more frothy volcano.

Thanks for the help (and the yeast CR).

Bill

Thumbs up Nutrient added

Yesterday - six days in - added about 1/8th tsp of nutrient to lychee and topped up.

Today the eggy smell has almost gone. The ferment is slowing but seems to be going well - SG is at 1.006.

The rose seems happy enough. Started 24 hours after the lychee the rose's SG is down to 1018 today and fizzing nicely.

1/8 tsp was a good choice. Best to deal with it soonest as it can taint.

Would I be right to rack them off their lees today - even though SGs continue to drop and and airlocks bubble?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast