Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enolmatic - cheapest option.

Hi,

All this talk of degassing and vacuum pumping etc has got me all desperate to own an enolmatic. Anyone know where the best place to get one is? I have found £275 on ebay but this is new. Happy with 2nd hand.
    Any advice gratefully received as it all helps with the business case I will need to present.

Many Thanks
    Simon
    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Whale make a brilliant one for a Tenner
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
      Whale make a brilliant one for a Tenner
      That's just a pump.

For the £275 mark, it probably is just the vacuum bottler, and doesn't include the filter housing, with is normally extra (as are the filter elements etc etc etc)

regards

jtfb
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
        That's just a pump.
        That was my point! For my money I would set this up and see what else you need.

Just my opinion, but I just don't get it [enolmatic] each to their own.

But who am I to speek - I have been known to spend a pretty penny on this glorious hobby.

bottoms up !!
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

What I would really like to do is to set up a reasonable in-line bottling facility from both 5 gallon and 1 gallon containers where ideally you simply plug bottle after bottle in without having to fiddle about with syphon tube etc etc. Have you managed to get something similar going with the whale pumps - if so I would be really interested in the techniques you used. To be honest the de-gassing under vacuum would be an added benefit but I could live without it.
          Simon
          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

It is possible to put together your own vacuum racking/degassing/bottling system on the cheap. I managed to do it for less than £40 but I did have a vacuum pump already. You could probably buy a brand new pump for about £100 or maybe find a 2nd hand one on e-bay for less.

The most expensive parts for mine was the bungs with 2 holes in. It is possible to make these from solid rubber bungs. However you need to freeze them to make them hard and then drill the 2 holes. I don't have a freezer at work and being lazy, I bought them. I needed 3 different sizes, carboy, demi john and bottle.

If anyone does want to give it a go I do have spare fittings as I had to buy packs of 10 and also hose as that came in a 10m roll.

Rob

Comment

The Enolmatic is excellent if you make a fair bit of wine, bottle lots at once, or just want a fancy toy.

It's possible to bottle the wine faster than your assistant can get the corks in with a floor corker. This makes short work on bottling day, I now tend to save all my bottling up, and do it when I have a few carboys to bottle. Making sure it's all racked off the sediment first so as not to block up the filter (or filter first!).

Comment

Well I'd agree with robwrx, but it often seem that vacuum pumps on eBay look like they'll be reasonable, but they do, more often than not, seem to go for top dollar.......

Though it maybe that I'm looking at the wrong ones (the Edwards ones are, at the moment, still made just along the road from me..... and are many thousands new).

If convenient/easy racking and de-gassing are the object, then if you used a two hole hung, and something inline to disrupt a smooth flow, then one of those "brake bleeding" hand vacuum pumps would do the job for a good price.

regards

jtfb
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
                  What I would really like to do is to set up a reasonable in-line bottling facility from both 5 gallon and 1 gallon containers
                  I have seen a similar setup done with two automatic bottle filler's (brewland 018.030.7) on a piece of tube with a Y fitting. My only issue with these is that they don't bottom fill, so IMO over oxidize the wine.

I like the beergun - but it is v expensive.

I settled on a cheap copy. A party tap, on the end of the hose (syphon or back pressure) and then 8mm beer line poked in the delivery nozzle to reach the bottom of the bottle. I can take a photo if it helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                    -----%<-----
                    I settled on a cheap copy. A party tap, on the end of the hose (syphon or back pressure) and then 8mm beer line poked in the delivery nozzle to reach the bottom of the bottle. I can take a photo if it helps!
                    Well I've got an enolmatic etc, but I'd be interested in seeing the pic's if you have some....

regards

jtfb

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Yep I would be interested in a picture or two.
                      Simon

Comment

Snap

Here we go - quite a simple setup. Coming up into the tap is syphon tube. Poke it the spout is a bottle depth piece of rigid pipe. The stuff corny kegs use and your local pub!
                        Attached Files

Comment

My local HBS has started selling Enolmatics:

- still not a cheap piece of kit, but very handy
                          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Is he stocking a spares package too for you Pete?

Comment

I've only broken two Enolmatics, you know.

Having said that, I have only used two in total.
                              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
                              X