Wine No1 and No2 with Cellar Rat's wonderful yeasties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine No1 and No2 with Cellar Rat's wonderful yeasties

After an enforced break from all types of brewing I've finally had time to get back into the swing of things.
    So in an attempt to keep swmbo and her mates in wine for at least part of the summer (well a couple of days), I've made up a gallon of each Wine No1 and No2 with Cellar Rat's white yeast, using the original recipes.

Instead of placing it in my fermentation cupboard (an old kitchen cabinet with a lightbulb wired to a room thermostat) at my usual 20C or so, I've stuck both in the garage. This is around 12c and the yeast is fermenting as well as the kv-1116 I've used before.
    It's a long way from being drinkable but it's looking good so far

I've been asked to make some Turbo Cider so I'll give that a blast with teh yeast as well

Thanks to Cellar Rat for the yeast, it looks like it'll be a great general purpose yeast.

After a week both wines are fermenting away nicely. the No 1 has had a good layer of foam on top, whereas the No 2 has a small ring of bubbles, but has more airlock activity

Comment

I am looking forward to hearing all about the taste tests...
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

The Wine No 1 fermented down to 0.996 quickly, and it's in another demijohn ready for bottling and drinking this weekend. The sample tasted nice.
        The No 2 has been completely different, is finally got down to 1.005 after teh addition of anotehr spoonful of nutrient.I'm going to use some sorbate to stop fermentation and not bother to backsweeten - however the sample i took for measurement was very nice indeed so it's a result

I also 8 litres of turbo cider using the lees from the No1. It ripped through the apple juice in a couple of days and has made a nice crisp cider - it'll need filtered but it's the best tasting TC i've made yet.

Comment

Working...
        X