• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    I didn't David no.....

did think about it, but figured they should be safe whilst frozen

seemed to work ok

regards
    Bob
    It was the possibility of infection being introduced into the almost fermented must from un-santitised ingredients I was wondering about, rather than frozen petals going off.

As reduced amounts/late addition works with dandelions, any reason why it shouldn't be used with gorse flowers? Anything to reduce the amount of picking from amongst the thorns + I'm on holiday on Exmoor at the moment which is covered with the stuff and taking enough frozen flowers back for a gall would be a nice memento.

P.S. Was that 500ml of flowers loose or lightly pressed down?
    Last edited by David; 10-04-2011, 07:13 PM.
    My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Just thinking out loud here...

" almost fermented must " = fermenting.

Fermenting is a process of sterilization.

So surely IMO this is the safest time to add stuff if there is any risk.

As opposed to adding something sulphited 'could' prematurely stop the fermentation?
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
        It was the possibility of infection being introduced into the almost fermented must from un-santitised ingredients I was wondering about, rather than frozen petals going off.
        there is enough alcohol in the must at that point to negate infection

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Just made the two base wines up,,following Bobs recipes, So thats good.

I washed the petals in the camden tablet solution, not so much for infection side, more for in case of dirt/dust/bugs on them,,maybe the odd bit of dog pee too,,, they came from a big park!!

I rinsed them off afterwards in clean water,,becaused it occured to me at the time that if i left the solution on them it might stop the fermintation when they are added to the wine..

So really thats the only reason i washed them first..

Thanks.
          Mark.
          Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

Two lots of dandelion wine,, one on the left is made with the grape concentrate and the one on the right is a No1 wine.
            Had to pour a bit out of both, because the petals floated on the top and the gas built up underneath them, forcing the petals up the airlocks!!
            Been stirring them daily to keep the petals mixed up..

But so far so good!!
            Attached Files

Comment

looking good....

as a side note, any wine with solids in it (that includes petals) needs to be started in a bucket to avoid these issues.

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks Bob.

The petals were added as late additions, when the wine had reached SG1010,,I guess adding the ingredients later throws the volume of wine out a bit.
                I take it that when you do add late additions that you leave the wine in the demijohn??

It would seem that when its really to rack,, there's going to be a lot of air space in the DJ,,would there be a good way to top this up without watering/weaking the wine down??

Thanks.
                Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by waggoner View Post
                  would there be a good way to top this up without watering/weaking the wine down??
                  Marbles would be good for that.

Or a pet bottle, squeezed to reduce the volume maybe? Or two 2litre pop bottles?

Comment

I take it that when you do add late additions that you leave the wine in the demijohn??

If I am adding juice late then I do it in the DJ. Anything containing pulp is done in the bucket, and racked to DJ at the end, leaving bits behind. I quite often make just over a gallon and then i have a gallon left at the end.

hope that helps

regards
                    bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Sorry forgot to add......thats in a bucket, but the lid is fitted with airlock, it is used open till SG getrs to around 1.010 and then the lid is snapped on. It has lots of headroom, so I am ready to rack immediately the wine has finished. But remember it is protected by a layer of CO2, so no need to panic, a day here or there is ok.

regards
                      bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Ahhh,,i see now,,i would never have though to have done the ferment in a bucket first,,then racked it to a DJ afterwards,, all makes sense now..

That kind of covers a question i was going to ask about a book i just bought,(Award winning wines by Bill Smith), but i'll do another post on that a bit later..

Thats brilliant, thanks, something new learned.

Thanks.
                        Mark..

Comment

What a pong!

Last night I started some Dandelion wine using SiSandrines recipe and can't believe what an awful smell the must is producing. Is that normal for boiled Dandelions?
                          Rob

Comment

That kind of covers a question i was going to ask about a book i just bought,(Award winning wines by Bill Smith), but i'll do another post on that a bit later
                            Bill Smith is a member of NGWBJ so we get to meet him regularly, great guy, great book

regards
                            Bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                              Last night I started some Dandelion wine using SiSandrines recipe and can't believe what an awful smell the must is producing. Is that normal for boiled Dandelions?
                              Rob
                              Yes absolutely. The smell is awful and taste is not much better for a couple months. I had some real doubts for a while with this one. After that absoutely delightful.
                              Simon
                              "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

A little update on the wine,,both have finished fermenting ages ago,,but the one made with grape concentrate/enricher has fallen crystal clear and has been racked to a new Dj. While the one made with fruit juice is still very cloudy...Photo below...interesting to see the difference..
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X