Kenridge Founders Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenridge Founders Series

Just about to buy a Kenridge Founders Series Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedrec kit and was wondering if any of you guys have done this kit and what you thought of it and is it worth the near £100 price tag.

Thanks
    BrewTrax Stats

Haven't done that particular kit, but have made others in the founders series....great stuff.

Will require serious ageing though to be at its best (2 years at least)

are these varietals you normally like?

blended together they will give a Rhone style wine, do you like those wines?

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Isn't that one of their special editions for this year? (with no research from me??)

Sounds nice though, +1 to the age it for a long time.

Comment

Never tried the Mourvedrec grape but i love the other two grapes so should be onto a winner. The 2 years wait will be very hard to cope with and am sure all 30 will not make it but most of them will(should), i'll just need to make sure my cellar is full of plenty of other nice wines.
        BrewTrax Stats

Comment

Grenach/Mouverdre/Syrah blended together becomes very unlike its component parts....before spending the money on a big kit, you might be best buying a bottle of Cote Du Rhone or chateau neuf du pape from your local supermarket in case you dont like the style (all in the interests of research of course)

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Probably not worth trying (not sure if anyone on the forum has) but GSM+ blends creating Ch du Pape can add a controlled dose of designer Brett (mouse) too. Whilst this adds complexity, too much can be horrible - Bob kindly allowed us to sniff some Brett infected wine at GF last year. Ever since though I have been able to detect Brett on some ChduPape and bizarre but I do appreciate it in small quantities - so thanks Bob. I doubt such additions are ever taught though but probably handed down over the centuries.
            Simon
            "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              Grenach/Mouverdre/Syrah blended together becomes very unlike its component parts....before spending the money on a big kit, you might be best buying a bottle of Cote Du Rhone or chateau neuf du pape from your local supermarket in case you dont like the style (all in the interests of research of course)

regards
              Bob
              Ive tried neuf du pape before and i liked it but might just have to grab another bottle just to be sure of course just in the interest of research.
              BrewTrax Stats

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeyetim View Post
                Ive tried neuf du pape before and i liked it but might just have to grab another bottle just to be sure of course just in the interest of research.

well.........

it would be rude not to
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

£100 does on the face of it seem expensive..........

but its still only £3.33 per bottle

plus bottle plus cork....

will be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than any wine you can buy at £4 per bottle

and i really mean way better, likely up there with £10 per bottle stuff, so look upon it as a saving (apply womens logic)
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Decent CHNDP costs lots more than £10. So applying logic of indeterminate gender properly, the saving is far greater than we could ever imagine.
                    Off to check Duff's shop for a Vieux Chateau kit me feels.
                    Simon
                    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
                      So applying logic of indeterminate gender properly, the saving is far greater than we could ever imagine.
                      love it!

buy 2....save even more
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Notes on Kenridge Founders Languedoc (Syrah/Grenache/Mourvedre) - 30 bottles - £95.29 on-line purchase

NB: This tasting is too early - batch was started on 25/9/11 and bottled 17/11/11, so it's 4 months old. Normally I wouldn't try before 6 months, but here we are.

O.G was 1.086 F.G 0.998 which BrewTrax tells me is 11.53% ABV

I'm disappointed, a fairly characterless wine with some unlikely nuances. It makes me wonder if the kit has been doctored with essences to provide the signature flavours and they have overdone it. I first noticed oil of cloves, then acetone (certainly on the nose after it's been in the carafe 3-4 hours, and I think bergamot. The bottle I opened had a lot of crystal deposit (tartrates?), it is tannic - a feature that may mellow with 18 months in the bottle. No real fruit flavours (I wouldn't look for many in a Chateauneuf or a Languedoc, but a little berry or cherry might be there), I think acidity is a bit lower than I would expect and there is the sad but familiar 'jammy', 'hum' in the background of... homebrew. I'm not that keen on the way my sweet receptors are being nudged, it's a dry wine but on the swallow there's a sweetness on the middle of the tongue (unusual - I normally notice sweet on the sides and back).

So, at this very early stage I'm placing it in the class of (say) a Selection Vieux Chateau du Roi. Plain, red, OK but nothing to write home about. I'm very much hoping that I can re-write this review in 8 months time and praise it (and justify the premium price), that is a distinct possibility. But definitely not a wine for early drinking.
                        Last edited by ToulouseLePlot; 24-03-2012, 12:28 AM. Reason: thought I'd put the price in
                        Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
                        Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Don't forget to save some of this wine for two + years.

I would have expected the og to be at least a bit higher than 1.086 (but I haven't made any KR FS kits). Was there a grape skin pack, and did you measure the sg after the grape skins were stirred in well?

Steve
                          the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
                          "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

I think the grape skins came with a muslin bag - so no stirring in. We will see - it is very early to give tasting notes, but that's going to be interesting, seeing how it develops over time.
                            Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
                            Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                              ....but its still only £3.33 per bottle plus bottle plus cork....
                              CRIPES !! - at that price not expected to come with a manservant
                              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                              X