• Show
Clear All

And the reply is...

"Sorry, exact species of Oak is unknown."
    Steven

Devon

Comment

That's a shame.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Just spoken to the chap who is very helpful. He thinks it most likely that they are American Oak (though he sources them from France). For me the bigger problem is that he suspects that they aren't pre-charred. Anyone got experience of charring barrels (through a bung hole).
        Simon
        "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

yeah - you can't!

They are toasted over a fire pit and then the ends are put on !!

Gamba Cooperage of Italy, premier barrel makers in Eastern Europe, show how their barrels are toasted
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Suspected so. I have seen them firing barrels 'the normal way' but just in case.
            Simon
            "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

.. been trying to think of a way around this, but I am drawing a blank.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                .. been trying to think of a way around this, but I am drawing a blank.

We used to work roofing felt with this sort of thing...

Turn the torch up full and you get a powerful flame, not like this little puff...

Here's the kit...

Anyway, if you could find a powerful torch small enough to fit in the bung hole **and leave a gap for oxgen to get in** it might work.

I think letting enough oxygen in would be the biggest challenge.

Likely you'll be able to hire one of these by the day, or even half day.

You could bore an extra hole on the top of the barrel to feed oxygen and then plug it up again, Like this...

Steven

Devon

Comment

Hmm, actually, bore an extra big hole on top, use the tap hole for oxygen and then plug up the extra big hole.

howzat?

:O)
                  Steven

Devon

Comment

In my experience - you are more likely to ceate an oak bomb. There would not be enough air and you would not get an even toast.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                      In my experience - you are more likely to ceate an oak bomb. There would not be enough air and you would not get an even toast.
                      I can't argue with experience.

Still, you could try it in combination with the wife's turbo hairdryer...
                      Steven

Devon

Comment

Maybe you could simply remove one head and toast the barrel? I believe there is a chapter in Daniel Pambianchi's "Techniques in Home Winemaking" that explains how to disassemble a barrel using a couple of specialized tools.

The other option is to have a professional cooper do the work for you. Simon, I don't know where in Hampshire you live, but it looks like there is a cooper about an hour away in Devizes, Wiltshire. Perhaps you could enlist his assistance...
                        England's last remaining master cooper Alastair Simms has predicted that the nation's barrel-making trade will go to the grave with him.

Just a thought.
                        Steve

Comment

What about putting red-hot stones inside and rolling the barrel around a bit?

This sounds daft, but it might work..!?

Mind you, if you've ever lost a pick inside a guitar, you'll know that it might be frustrating getting them all out again!
                          Steven

Devon

Comment

I have thought along these lines with bbq briquettes.

Comment

Now that's not such a bad idea:

(i) they're hot

(ii) they disintegrate (meaning easy to get back out).
                              Steven

Devon

Comment

I remember seeing (on tv) a whisky maker using a chain to shake around inside an old (sherry?) barrel to remove the toasted wood (and get the woody-wood for the whisky maturation).

Use the same process with a red-hot chain?

Engage your local blacksmith..?
                                Steven

Devon

Comment

Working...
                                X