Barrel wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
    Steve, in your opinion do barrels make a difference? Have you ever split a wine and aged half in a barrel and half in glass and compared the result?

I understand that you get a level of micro oxygenation that you don't get with glass and due to evaporation you also get a concentration of the wine and it is a convenient method of oaking a wine but does that make a better wine?
    If I didn't believe they made a difference, I wouldn't have bought a half dozen. Glass is much less expensive.
    Steve

Comment

Thank you Steve. Not quite the answer I was after but I guess it was a bit of a stupid question

I'd better start saving......

Comment

Ok, to answer your question, yes, I have had the same wine aged in both barrels and glass. The glass aged wine tends to be harsher and contains quite a bit of dissolved CO2 gas, even after aging for a year. By contrast, barrel aged wine is softer, has a more "round" mouthfeel, and is less acidic. Or at least that's my perception.
        Steve

Comment

Thank you for expanding on that Steve, your knowledge and experience is much appreciated

Comment

Working...
          X