Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muntons Premium Gold Autumn Blush

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had done this kit at all?

I like dry ciders with body so this seems the business. Dont want to drink any cheap muck like turbo cider (is it really any good?!?)

The kit says you can use light spray malt for priming rather than sugar. Would this impart any malty flavours to the finished product, or just add with mouth feel in the end result?

Grateful for your thoughts - and really any convincing arguement not to do a TC!!

Cheers. Owl.
    A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Originally posted by owlwithoutfeathers View Post
    Dont want to drink any cheap muck like turbo cider (is it really any good?!?)
    Well......

until recently I would have warned you against Turbo Cider...

I have made it many times and its never been any good....but i recently made a batch (not finished yet, but ready for priming) and early tastes are very promising

Lidl apple juice and Lalvin D47 yeast

will keep you updated once bottled and tasted

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks Bob. I'm tempted, i really am. Just been looking at another threat on TC using good quality honey . . .

Any thoughts on the Muntons Cider kit at all?

It's good to be back chatting on the forum!

Owl.

Comment

Thanks Bob. I'm tempted, i really am. Just been looking at another threat on TC using good quality honey . . .

Honey?

there is no honey in cider... that would be cyser

I havent made the Muntons kit...I think Karl has made it and I seem to recall he liked it
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

It's good to be back chatting on the forum!
          good to have you back!

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            Honey?

there is no honey in cider... that would be cyser

I havent made the Muntons kit...I think Karl has made it and I seem to recall he liked it
            Any way i can pass this on to Karl for his opnion on the kit?

Also, any clue on light spray malt? Would this addition add anything to the finished brew or best to prime with sugar?

Comment

In all honesty it's crap, certainly not worth the £20+. It lacks any real apple flavour & it takes forever to clear.
              Fact is when I sold the 3 kits I had I stopped selling it, had two customers who purchased this both commented the same.

If you want a good dry cider kit look out for Black Rock, retails at about £17 & well worth it.

I would prime with sugar, I wouldn't want malty flavours in a cider.
              Discount Home Brew Supplies
              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                In all honesty it's crap, certainly not worth the £20+. It lacks any real apple flavour & it takes forever to clear.
                Fact is when I sold the 3 kits I had I stopped selling it, had two customers who purchased this both commented the same.

If you want a good dry cider kit look out for Black Rock, retails at about £17 & well worth it.

I've not tried it but all reviews everywhere say its rubbish and certainly not as it makes out on the packaging.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post

Thanks Guys. That's a bit of money saved then! I'll look into the Kiwi Cider. I like mycider dry, dry dry. None of that sweet muck that they sell in the pubs. Although Aspall is good. Notihing like Strongbow though.

i havent used spraymalt before. There's a lot of talk about using it as a primer. But i completely understand where youre comming from on the malt-taste in a cider. I'll leave that for the beers!

Cheers once again.

Owl.

Comment

I purchased the kit from Karl it wouldn't clear at all and it didn't taste avery nice i would avoid it.

Comment

Thanks Darren. I've done a Muntons Midas Touch before - and that came out lovely. Pitty on the cider front. There doesnt seem to be the same depth of quality out there for ciders that there are for bitters. Here's crossing some fingers and toes that Brewferm start producing a decent cider!

(and yes, Owls do have fingers and toes.) :-P

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                        Well......

until recently I would have warned you against Turbo Cider...

I have made it many times and its never been any good....but i recently made a batch (not finished yet, but ready for priming) and early tastes are very promising

Lidl apple juice and Lalvin D47 yeast

will keep you updated once bottled and tasted

regards
                        bob
                        How did your TC turn out Bob? Or is it still on the go?

Owl.

Comment

Still in the DJ

ready for racking/primin/bottling...but busy with organising Ponte show...

will likely get to it next week (show is on saturday)
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                          X