Chemically does it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemically does it...

I've been asked to do a brief talk on test kits at Grapefest this year.

I'm not 100% certain on what I'll be covering, but I was thinking about doing some demonstrations on the correct use. I'll be trying to do it with a mind to the audience so lab equipment will be a no-no where possible.

At the moment I can think of a couple of tests which I should be able to do without any special equipment:

Acid testing using a richies test kit (yes, it is incredibly easy to fluff this test. Easier to make a mistake with this than using a pH probe).

Acid Testing using a pH probe (this will hoefully be short, since the bulk will be covered in the earlier demo).

Free SO2. I'm only planning covering the Aeration/oxidation method with this as it requires simple chemicals, and simple equipment. It is also considered to be more accurate than the Ripper method.

Total SO2. It's not really possible on the small scale, but I'll go over the details of how it's done (not that different from the free really.

Malo-lactic-fermentation Nice, easy test. Bullet proof. Get some mixed acid and some wine, do the test, get your answer. Easy. Except the chemicals are flammable...

If you would like anything else demonstrated or brought down let me know and I'll do my best
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

That looks Fab Graham

top banana
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Good news - So2 spot on - all but given up with ripper titration
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

... and don't forget to bring some ML test kits down
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Really looking forwards to this. I might be convinced to dig out my Ritchies kit if I can understand where I've gone wrong with it in the past. I still like the simplicity of the vinoferm kit although I appreciate it is probably not as accurate as a correctly used Ritchies.

Rob

Comment

Looking forward to this almost as much as the curry !

Comment

The problem with the richies test kit (I suspect) is that wine changes colour from red to blue when it is neutralised and that this can interfere with the pH test from a Richie's kit. This false end point in the test will mean that you wind up with nonsensical pH values.

As a slight aside, if you stick some oxiclean type stuff (the powdered oxygen generating cleaner) into a bit of wine (you won't need much powder or wine) then you can see it go through the red --> blue change as the cleaner has chemical that makes it basic and then as the oxygen generating bit kicks in it will go brown as the wine is oxidised.
              -Police Squad

Comment

We could do with chatting Graham, to see what you need by way of setup. I think this will be the centrepeice of the educational stuff. I'm certainly looking forward to the A/O session.

I'd like to video it if thats ok with you, and upload it to the youtube channel. But we could also project it onto a bigger wscreen if necessary to show close up, as i think there may be too many peeps to allow for them all to all see it up close. I'm moving a lot of the furniture from the room, to allow more seating space

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                  I'm moving a lot of the furniture from the room, to allow more seating space
                  If I remember rightly, I already moved one chair
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

haha yes, but I glued it back together
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I'm not sure what sort of space requirements will be needed. I guess it depends on how many people turn up! I'll just need a table big enough to fit the gear on.

The AO test will take about 15 minutes to run, so there will be a minimum time frame.

I suppose this is going to come up sooner or later, but what is the availability of the chemicals used in the AO and MLF testing? I mean, I'm going to be demonstrating test methods at GF but there might be a problem getting the chemicals.

Would people be interested in me bringing down some chemicals (and miscellaneous stuff such as chromatography paper, syringes, pippetes, etc.) to Grapefest? I couldn't do the stuff for free, but I could certainly do them as cheap as possible.
                      -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
                        Would people be interested in me bringing down some chemicals (and miscellaneous stuff such as chromatography paper, syringes, pippetes, etc.) to Grapefest?
                        I certainly would
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

..and me
                          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Yup
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

Right, I've priced up the chemicals and I think it should be doable. The only thing that remains is bottles, etc.

What I'm thinking is that I'll divide the chemicals into two classes, bulk and indicator. bulk samples will the actual chemicals that are used to do the test (caustic soda, phosphoric acid, etc.) where as the indicator will be the... indicators. The bulk chemicals will be in 250mL bottles whilst the indicators will probably be in 50mL bottles.

The MLF test chemical will be supplied in 250mL bottles, and I can have a look at the paper too, although you can probably cut some out of coffee filters.

I need to try and get an idea of numbers though. Just so I can get an idea of order quantites for the bottles.
                              -Police Squad

Comment

Working...
                              X