2011 Ferments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Ferments

Did some testing of numbers this morning.

Dont read these as definitive numbers for a couple of reasons.

1. Test kit is a little old and may not be totally reliable

2. I have a massive hangover!

Grenache. Acid 6 g/l (tartaric) Brix 16 SG 1.063
    Merlot. Acid 7 g/l Brix 19 SG 1.077
    Trebbiano. Acid 7 g/l Brix 19 SG 1.077
    Tempranillo. Acid 7 g/l Brix 20 SG 1.081

will wait with interest to see what everyone else finds......

A great day/evening yesterday, hardly any tidying up to do at all today

cheers guys

lots of great memories, and I'm sure there will be lots of interesting pics later in the day

watch in the future for the southern duck pond video, and the rip van Koomber pics

Will make a DVD of the talks, and some random daytime shots. If anyone has any pictures and/or video could you let me have themn and I will use them too (maybe some of them with the sound removed, or a parental advisory notice on them

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Gonna get mine tomorrow.
    Can you believe I can't do any Merlot ? I don't have room.

30 gallons of Primitivo (also known as Zinfandel) are going into the freezer.

Several more are going into my fermentor.

Steve !!

Steve !!

Steve !!

This is your grape!! any recommendations please?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Ahh, muggins here lost a pack of RC-212 so I'm doing a Brian and making one packet do the work of many

Anyway, the results so far:

Merlot
      Brix: 20.6
      SG (Calc): 1.083
      Acidity: 6.45g/L

Sagivan
      Brix: 21.6
      SG (Calc): 1.087
      Acidity: 7.05g/L*

*The Sangivan acidity might be wrong. To show the colour change of the SO2 test kit I chucked acid in my test kit soln so I had to use a spare SO2 test kit soln NaOH! It's ten times weaker and by the time I was done I kinda lost count of how much I added. It's either 7.05 or 10.05. I'll make some more solution and check again tomorrow.

By the way, to directly get from the Richies test kit to TA in Tartaric:
      1.5 * [Volume of Test Soln]
      (This assumes you've used 5mL of wine)
      Last edited by koomber; 11-09-2011, 07:26 PM.
      Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
      Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
      -Police Squad

Comment

I intend adjusting the Acidity and sugar levels of my grapes.

currently we have

Trebbiano. Acid 7 g/l Brix 19 SG 1.077

I will leave this as is, as these numbers are good, will give alc level around 11-12% and 7 g/l acidity is fine for a white wine, I will be sparkling this batch so may up the acid by 1 to 2 g/l a little a bit later on. depending on taste before sparkling it.

Grenache. Acid 6 g/l (tartaric) Brix 16 SG 1.063

I want the sugar levels nearer 1.080 and the acidity more like 5 g/l
        The addition of 1lb sugar made up to 1 litre with warm water to dissolve sugar added to each gallon, will up the SG to approx 1.079 and the lower the acidity to 4.9 g/l (so near enough to target of 1.080 and 5 g/l)

Merlot. Acid 7 g/l Brix 19 SG 1.077
        Tempranillo. Acid 7 g/l Brix 20 SG 1.081

Numbers are similar on these, and I dont really want to adjust the SG, so I will make up a sugar solution at 1.080 and add 1.25 litre of it to each gallon, this will lower the acidity to 5.47 g/l ...because of this I intend to punch the cap more frequently and leave on the skins longer, to be sure and get all the colour and flavour compounds out of the grapes, will also add some pectolic enzyme to aid extraction.
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Cheers for the numbers Graham, it seems my test kit is still ok

hope the adjustments I added here are of use to you all.

The way the grapes are is totally fine, and they will make good wine without messing with them, so if you are new, then I would probably advise leaving well alone.........I just want to maximise quality. And the route to quality wines is by mastering acidity first and foremost.

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Am streaming the video [presentations, but my version of adobe doesnt supporet these new cameras, so am using windows movie maker (oh the shame) and outputting as an avi, then I can import into Adobe premier pro.

Mike at work will likely have an easier fix
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Here are the numbers for table wines

RED TABLE WINE - DRY
              The colour should mainly be red, but tints of purple or black are acceptable, as are tints of tawny (often found in older wines).
              The wine must be dry, i.e. without easily recognisable sweetness.
              The flavour can be substantial and should remain in the after-taste.
              Some astringency from tannins is expected, with some mellowness and maturity desirable.
              The bouquet should be complex and vinous. Acidity should be between 0.45% and 0.65%, and the alcohol from 10% to 14%.

WHITE TABLE WINE - DRY
              Pale colour is desirable; there should be no brown or pink tone.
              The wine should taste dry, without easily recognisable sweetness. The flavour should be pleasant, with no bitter after-taste, and should give an impression of freshness, leaving the mouth clean.
              Alcohol content may be between 8.5% and 13%, with acidity between 0.5% and 0.8%. It is most important for this type of wine that the bouquet should be clean, fresh and vinous.
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks everyone for a wonderful couple of days. I had a great time again and look forward to the videos.

Have just done the testing.

Merlot
                SG 1.090
                TA 6.5 g/litre

Sangiovese
                SG 1.092
                TA 9.75

I think I may recalibrate the hydrometer, I haven't done so for a year so this could explain the high SG.

Worried about the high Sangiovese acid (nerer Grahams high count) but I titrated twice and it was exactly the same (as was the merlot). It is already fermenting like the clappers though on the wild yeast (starter of BM4x4 on the go). I gave it a blast in the microwave before hand but I will try again tomorrow.
                Merlot fermentation has been successfully retarded for the cold soak. Starter will go in tomorrow though methinks (BDX).
                Simon
                "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

I got 7 Sangi, and 7 Merlot

Buckets now in garage, heater belts and temp controller attached.

Bled of 6 or so litres from each big tub to give it some headspace and to have a few bottles of Rosé.

Measured the SG of each,

Sangi is 1.085
                  Merlot 1.082

Acid test results seem strikingly close to those already posted, I won't be adjusting mine.

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post

Sangiovese
                    SG 1.092
                    TA 9.75

I think I may recalibrate the hydrometer, I haven't done so for a year so this could explain the high SG.
                    I gave up on the hydrometer for the sugar levels. I'm certain the amount of gunk in the samples I took were throwing the results. Looked like soup at the bottom of the measuring cylinder!

Bit concerned that we've already got 2 different results for the acid testing, though once we get more results in we can identify where the problems are coming from and changes to technique to improve the results. I'll post some pictures of the must with the test solution in it with and without the indicator.

It blows the mind to see what colour the must goes with a bit of caustic and no indicator.
                    Last edited by koomber; 11-09-2011, 09:16 PM.
                    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                    -Police Squad

Comment

I didn't test using the ritchies test kit, I used the aciquick test kit from vigo

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Fairly happy with the process and getting the colour change. It goes green-grey first rather helpfully but then the pink comes through. I bought some Phenopthalein in France last year which seems to be miles better than the stuff that came with the kit. Happy that the merlot seems to agree. Maybe I didn't get rid of all the C02. Will try again tomorrow AM.
                        Simon
                        "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Is it normal to have such wildly varying SG results from the same batch of grapes?

Mine are;

Merlot 1.085

Sangiovese 1.092

Trebbiano 1.078
                          Acid 3.5 sulphuric with the Ritchies kit
                          5g/l tartaric with the Vinoferm kit

I have done a retest of the acid in the Trebbiano and got the same result. Will have a go at acid testing the reds in a minute.

To try and get as little pulp in the SG tests I used a sieve to press down the skins and took the juice from within the sieve and it looked pretty clear.

Rob

Comment

The amount of pulp can make the SG move by approx 0.007

so yes these differences are possible

the acid testing?....well....I think the differences are human error (or in my case perhaps hangover error)

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I think acid testing can wait until Monday, btw ... did I mention, I found my wallet ?

Comment

Working...
                              X