X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    The amount of pulp can make the SG move by approx 0.007

so yes these differences are possible

the acid testing?....well....I think the differences are human error (or in my case perhaps hangover error)

Hmmm! My refractometer suggests the figures should be lower so perhaps I need to unfriend my hydrometer and cosy up to my refractometer, remember, your refractometer is your friend

Comment

Also could someone confirm that I should be aiming for around 7g/l acid in my Trebbiano so to get 18.5litres of must from 5g/l to 7g/l I need to add 37grams of tartaric acid?

Thank you

Comment

hmmmm

I get the trebbiano at 7 g/l and i think a couple of others do too
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

hmmmm

I get the trebbiano at 7 g/l and i think a couple of others do too
          QUACK!QUACK!QUACK!QUACK!ing QUACK!QUACK!QUACK!QUACK!ing ****ing ****ing acid test kits!!! What is it that I'm doing wrong? How do I get a second opinion?
          Last edited by robwrx; 12-09-2011, 01:22 AM. Reason: I broke the quacking filter!

Comment

you could send some juice to someone else in a 250ml pet,

dont worry too much, as you can easily add acid later in the process

regards
            bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Retested Sangiovese this morning before work. 8.25g/litre (Ritchies test 5.5 as sulphuric). Will do another couple this evening to be absolutely certain but I think acid and sugar levels are pretty high.

Merlot could be shackled no longer and is fermenting this morning on the wild yeasts. Will add cultured yeast starter this evening.

Also yeast starter for Sangiovese will go in tonight after probably about 36 hours of wild yeast ferment.
              Simon
              "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

you could send some juice to someone else in a 250ml pet,

dont worry too much, as you can easily add acid later in the process

regards
                bob
                Ok then, any volunteers wish to test my Trebbiano for TA please.

I have just done my 6th test and I still get between 3.25 ppt sulphuric and 3.5 ppt sulphuric which is only in the region of 5 to 5.5 g/l.

Regards

Rob

Comment

Just a thought - are we likely to crash the car here because we are studying the stitching of the seats and not watching the road?

Are you guys over thinking this ?
                  Acid additions(if necessary) can be done later!

What acid & PH are you aiming for ?
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                    Ok then, any volunteers wish to test my Trebbiano for TA please.

I have just done my 6th test and I still get between 3.25 ppt sulphuric and 3.5 ppt sulphuric which is only in the region of 5 to 5.5 g/l.

Regards

Rob
                    Rob, you can post it to me if you like and I can post you a modified Richie's kit.

Do you have any wine acids kicking around the house?
                    You can try dissolving 4 or 5 g of acid in a Litre of water and then running a test against a sample of this fluid to see if the test kit is completely accurate. If there is a problem with the vinoferm test kit then it will show up as the acid level will be wrong (from what your saying, it will tell you that there is less acid in the sample yuo've made than you put in the sample you made.)

Not much more that I can suggest.
                    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                    -Police Squad

Comment

My Sangio came out at 1.084. This was after standing for 12 hours to let the sediment drop out (making rosé).
                      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Have you tested the acidity yet Pete?
                        Simon
                        "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Nope - replying on Bob's and Koomber's figures
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post

Do you have any wine acids kicking around the house?
                            You can try dissolving 4 or 5 g of acid in a Litre of water and then running a test against a sample of this fluid to see if the test kit is completely accurate. If there is a problem with the vinoferm test kit then it will show up as the acid level will be wrong (from what your saying, it will tell you that there is less acid in the sample yuo've made than you put in the sample you made.)

Not much more that I can suggest.
                            I hadn't thought of doing that I shall give it a go. The best before date on my Ritchies kit is 12/2012 and I've used a new bottle of sodium hydroxide so I'm hoping a test on a known acid should prove accurate.

Regards

Rob

Thanks

Comment

Sangiovese: 4 - 4.5 g/l as sulphuric (Ritchie's).

Equates to 6.2 - 6.9 g/l tartaric. Although i diluted heavily, I found it difficult to spot the precise end point.

That seems to be OK as-is, doesn't it?
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

Merlot 1.076
                                Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                X