Quince wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quince wine?

I have been offered as many quinces (proper ones, not Japonica) as I can use. Has anyone made this? I have Berry's 'First Steps' book, but he includes two lemons in the recipe, which sounds like a lot, and doesn't mention pectic enzyme; I would have thought that quinces, like apples, would have contained quite a bit of pectin. Advice welcome, even if it's 'don't bother'!

I have an 'inherited', but sadly neglected quince tree on one of my allotments that needed a chainsaw to clear around it and only got some fruits from it last year.

My wife makes fantastic jelly from most of them (just opened a jar to savour the fragrance), but I managed to get hold of enough to produce one pound of grated flesh which was boiled for 15 mins, and the strained liquid added to a wine #1 recipe - 1 litre white grape juice, 1 litre apple juice and I added sugar to 1.083.

That was started on 26/10/10 last year, tasted really good on racking, but as I've already had 2 quinces fall this year might be time to re-taste/assess and perhaps bottle and report.
    Last edited by David; 13-09-2011, 07:49 AM.
    My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Thanks, David. It sounds like a good mixture. I'll give it a go! I'll probably make quince cheese anyway, rather than jelly.

Comment

Working...
      X