Black Cherry 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Cherry 2011

Early start to the Black Cherry port recipe.

Since my Merlot and Sangi skins are trying to make a bid for freedom out the buckets, I thought I'd knock up the black cherry kit a little early.

1 Youngs black cherry kit.
    3 litres red grape juice
    2 tins of black cherrys in light syrup
    some more white grape juice to make up to approx 5 litres
    some Merlot and Sangi grape skins.

Ferment started with some K1v1116 and allowed to get going before the grapeskins added.

Starting sg about 1.095

Acid level was somewhere between 1 and 10 depending upon who measured it and how high the sun was in the sky. Will worry about that later if need be.

No oak added yet.. (shock horror!)

Will update as I remember or delete if it turns into drain cleaner.

have 2 kits here waiting for next week
    http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
    http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Is it necessary to add skins to a port kit? I often see people trying this style and nearly always includes skins.

Comment

Maybe not, but I have lots of skins at the moment from grapefest.

This 'recipe' (or idea), was done a couple of years back, here

Comment

And beautiful it was too, the one I tasted on Saturday night. Really luscious black cherry flavour, perfectly balanced.

Really was delicious. Am definitely doing some this year.

Black Cherry Grapefest Port. Makes other ports look cr*p.
          Simon
          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post

Acid level was somewhere between 1 and 10 depending upon who measured it and how high the sun was in the sky. Will worry about that later if need be.

You forgot the units: Cubits per furlong expressed as eucalyptus.
            Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
            Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
            -Police Squad

Comment

on the go 2 cherry kits 3 jars cherries and loads of skins. will ferment then press and sugar feed

Comment

Update..

Drained mine off the skins and gave them a squeeze yesterday. Racked off into a demijon today. Still bubbling away slowly. More sugar to come.

Comment

just pressed mine ended up with 4 gal. from 8 ltr water added. shows how much was left on skins

Comment

Planning on pressing mine today or tomorrow: concentrate made up as per instructions, and a big lump of Tempranillo skins added. It'll be sugar-fed until it croaks, sweetened further, brandy & oak added, then placed alongside the 2010 version, which is still in its DJ.
                    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I love the flavours of Morello, Blackcurrant, Vanilla and Ethyl Malonate in some of my favourite wines.

I have noted the easy acceptance of adulteration of red wine (flavour enhancement) through the addition of various bits of Oak, and I also picked up on the proposal for late addition of grape must in order to retain as much fruit flavour as possible.

This leads me to consider adding some Morello, Black Currant, Vanilla/Oak sawdust to my now very dry and essentially 'fruitless' Merlot in the same spirit of adulteration as 'Oaking'.

If I go for flavour and not sugar, then I am hoping to be able to inject a level of flavour to the alcoholic, sulphited, clarified wine without triggering a final splurge of fermentation.

I have in mind something along the lines of a bag - bouquet garnet style to keep the dross contained, while letting the flavours steep into the alcoholic rich wine.

There is nothing new under the sun, so doubtless this has been done before. Anyone know why it isn't as commonplace as Oaking?

Derek

Comment

I suppose it is because, depending where in the world the wine is made, there are greater or lesser degrees of control over what can be added to commercial wine.

I guess artificial oaking is allowed because a lot of wine used to be fermentered/stored in oak barrels as a matter of course.

In our non-commercial world we can basically do what we want. After each Grapefest I make a Fruit Merlot, which is leftover skins, tinned strawberry and raspberry and a lot of backsweetening. The aim is to produce a light, 'barbecue red/rosé', so I'm adding certain flavours to get the result I want.

Is your merlot from a kit or from grapes? If the latter, you might run into the same danger as me: sulphite alone isn't enough to prevent refermentation: you really need sulphite, potassium sorbate, and time. If you add sorbate and MLF occurs, you get some really rotten flavours. I also add lysozyme, which is supposed to take care of the ML bacteria, but it isn't cheap.
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

Anyway, back on topic ...

My sugar-feeding has got my BCP to a calculated 17% alc. This might be a bit out because the yeast tolerance is supposed to be 15%.

I have sugar-fed to 1.030 again, so this should thoroughly poison the remaining yeast.
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                          X