Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small quantity real ale grain brewing

Hi,
    Can anyone point me in the direction for recipes to do small amounts of all grain beer making. I have spoken to my mentor in featherstone who says thats what he does(be seeing you soon karl).
    I don't want to buy all the gear and have no idea, so would like to try say a gallon or two, also I can only bottle the beer at the moment and have her in doors complaining about the amount or lack of excericise I do so making 5 gallons and barrleing it would give me a lot of ear ache.
    I have just put on a brewferm Gallia which is only 11 Litres and cannot wait to try it, but would like to move into the all grain area which looks fascinating.
    many thanks

Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Sorry about the terse reply - working from my phone.

You sound luke you are in exactly the same situation as me. House iscull of wine, so I daren't buy lots of brewing equipment too.

I test-flew the BIAB methods etailed in the other post. Results were excellent.
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I prefer bottled beer. It keeps better and I think has a nicer finish. I cannot get through a keg full faster enough.

I read loads of stuff about brewing before I started - the lights came on when I read this one: Brew Your Own British Real Ale (Camra) it is now the only one I refer to.

It also has 19 litre recipes which are a nice size.

Look at the Easybrew idea of doing EVERYTHING in a LIDL boiler and then pitching the yeast day 2. Bob will back me up here - it works very well - something it seems other countries have been doing for a while.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Hi Guys,

whats the plan with the Lidl Boiler? Is it one of these?

I like the idea of small (under 20ltr) brewing. Do we have a linky on the site?

Owl.
          A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

Thats the boiler I've got. Replaced the tap for one that doesn't run at a dribble and twisted the thermostat to get a roling boil and it's a very good value bit of kit. When they come up agfain I shall buy another without hesitation.

I do 4 gal batches regularly with minimum boil over. I am also going to try a 4 gal boil at higer than normal graivty to dilute back down to 5 gals in the fermenter.

enjoy

mark

http://markblades.com
            Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
            These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Many thanks for the advice.
              cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post

Look at the Easybrew idea of doing EVERYTHING in a LIDL boiler and then pitching the yeast day 2. Bob will back me up here - it works very well - something it seems other countries have been doing for a while.
                The Easybrew idea ? Is this in the book or a forum thread ?

Comment

I am sure it is on a thread somewhere but I will summarize.

You need a LIDL boiler, fermenter and a mash bag...and two days.
                  --DAY ONE--
                  Mash
                  Heat water to strike temp.
                  Add mash bag
                  Add grain
                  Set boiler to 66c *
                  Mash for desired duration
                  Remove mash bag (with grains)
                  Empty boiler into fermenter

Sparge
                  Heat water for sparge in boiler 80c
                  Sparge #1
                  Empty boiler into fermentor
                  Heat water for sparge in boiler
                  Sparge #2

Boil
                  Combine all wort in boiler.
                  Boil & hop as desired.
                  Turn off, put lid on - leave to cool overnight

--DAY TWO--
                  Hydrate yeast
                  Rack from boiler to fermenter.
                  Get some air in!! Shake it or beat with a plaster paddle & drill
                  Ferment as normal
                  etc etc etc Drink!

Verdict: Very easy, A LOT LOT less time consuming like some methods. Beer very good.
                  *For the record I mash normally in an insulated tun - LIDL thermostat makes me twitch uncontrollably.
                  Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 30-09-2011, 06:50 AM.
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                    *For the record I mash normally in an insulated tun - LIDL thermostat makes me twitch uncontrollably.
                    That thermostat is a about as much use as boobs on a boar!
                    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                    -Police Squad

Comment

just too funny - laughed a lot!

Comment

Thanks for that very comprehensive summary Brian. Like with the winemaking, I see I have much to learn on this subject. A long good read of the forum is in order I feel.

Comment

Read a lot about beer making, but the light came on when I read this ..

Comment

I would heartily second that book review. I learned more from this book about AG brewing than any of the forums (with the exception of this one of course!!).

get it and enjoy

regards

Mark

http://markblades.com
                            Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                            These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Just got the book, wow looks like I ma going to have a go, cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X