X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malcmackenzie View Post

any comments would be usefull
    Youngs GP?

it's ok till you want better quality wines......you can't run a ferrari on parrafin, my advice would be, use up what you have and then switch to a decent yeast, good quality yeast may seem expensive at over £1 for a small sachet, but you can make a starter (see tutorial section) and make it last months, a good quality yeast will radically improve the wiones that you make

hope that helps

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I am very interested to see the results of these experiments. this is how we all learn from each other.

regards
      bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Starter & Malc's recipe

Hi all

My conditioner reciepe I did this into a one gallon jar with dry fresh pressed grapes and I have a 5 gallon of the pure grapes on the go.

STARTER

Do you have a recipe for making up a yeast starter and keeping it alive for months?

Malc
        Malc

Comment

Starter recipe

Also do you have amethod to make a starter and keep it alive with Malo Lactic Culture?

Malc
          Malc

Comment

I was thinking, is there any sense in using rice or banana? I've read before that they add body, is this true?

My consumables came today. Just to run off to the store and buy the apple and grape juice. I'm planning on starting the experiment this weekend.

Comment

banana

I have heard that a few dried banana chips into a gallon of elderberry wine can work well to bring body but I would say just a few.

I did it once with half a real banana and eventualy it matured nicely but when opening the bottle the first whiff was like baby sick. Eughhhh

So go light maybe on the banana

Malc
              Malc

Comment

I have heard that a few dried banana chips into a gallon of elderberry wine can work well to bring body but I would say just a few.

I did it once with half a real banana and eventualy it matured nicely but when opening the bottle the first whiff was like baby sick. Eughhhh

So go light maybe on the banana

Malc
                Thanks for the advice- I'll add half a bananna as one of the variables.

That brings the final list to

1. Standard
                2. WGC
                3. Sultanas
                4. Glyercine
                5. Bananna

Comment

Final recipe-

5L of 100% white grape juice
                  5L of 100% apple juice
                  5t citric acid
                  5t nutrient
                  1/2t grape tannin
                  2t pectolase
                  sugar to sg 1.07
                  water to 23L

The yeast I decided is Gervin Wine Yeast No.1 Varietal B Strain GV9. Everything is done, time to wait. I'll start in the bucket than transfer to airlock once it starts bubbling.

ps (I would have larger pictures but there is a size limit).
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by krakowmike; 15-10-2011, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Malo Lactic

As a test maybe do an extra base gallon and do a malo lactic fermetation on it and see what it does?

Or do you all already know? Does it make a lot of difference?

Malc
                    Malc

Comment

As a test maybe do an extra base gallon and do a malo lactic fermetation on it and see what it does?

Or do you all already know? Does it make a lot of difference?

Malc
                      Don't know too much about MLF but I believe some yeast strains will metabolise malo. From what I read, malic acid seems to be a problem with fruit based wines.

Comment

Update

Sorry for the delay. The sg dropped to 1.03 and I transferred the ferment from the big carboy to 5- 1 gallon bottles under airlock. I added the correct amount of sugar to equal total sq of 1.08 (remember at the start I used 1.07).

Lesson learnt- adding sugar to a ferment makes a volcano, and it is very hard to dissolve. I used the long end of my siphon to mix the sugar (after several minutes of shaking yielded no results).

1. 100g of sultana (washed, cut in half)
                        2. 1 bottle of wgc
                        3. 100g of cut banana
                        4. and 5. no addition as this will be the control and the glycerine (added later).

How much glycerine should I add?
                        Attached Files

Comment

After 3 days into the 5- 1 gallon jugs

The bubbles are starting to slow down. The bananna, wgc, and sultana have taken on a nice yellow hue smelling nice and rich. The control is bland. No off smells in any of the jars. I think in the next couple of days I will rack and stabilise.

Comment

Can anyone tell me iof they have done these recipes with just grape juice? It seems to me the mix of apple and grape is popular.

Is it much better
                            Malc

Comment

Hi all, I heard about adding bananas for body... how do you go about this, do i just mash and boil and add to the must? Thanks

This thread has some useful information with regards to the use of banana for added body.

Comment

I have always wondered the same. Maybe a price issue, 5 liters of grape juice is 5GBP, almost half the cost of a decent 6 bottle wine kit which may or may not add anything else to the recipe.

I do note that adding 5 liters of grape juice to a 5 gallon Belvino kit gave me more of a bathroom cleaner bouquet vs a Wine No 1 recipe (might just be the Belvino kit, I know, I know).

Maybe you can experiment for us like I am doing with 'body'. Have 5- 1 gallon jugs and start with 1 liter of grape juice and increase the amount in each jug thereafter.

Can anyone tell me iof they have done these recipes with just grape juice? It seems to me the mix of apple and grape is popular.

Is it much better

Comment

Working...
                                X