Lactic acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lactic acid

Malo Lactic fermentation seems to be a hot topic at the moment however it may be a bit advanced for me creatuing just the correct conditions and testing for sodium.

I have found Lactic acid for sale in a solution and have seen a recipe taht says 1 teaspoon per gallon added at the beginning of fermantation can make a significant improvement

So I am thinking of this instead of.

Anyone have any experience of this.

Malcolm
    Malc

Malcolm, before I answer your question, I think it's first helpful to understand the purpose of malolactic fermentation.

Grapes contain both malic and tartaric acid in varying amounts. Tartaric acid is what lends to the flavor of grape wine and gives it that bit of tartness. Malic acid does this to some extent also, but is a harsher acid on the palate. Malolactic fermentation is carried out by specialized bacteria which convert the harsher malic acid to softer lactic acid (the acid found in dairy). The purpose is to soften the wine and make it more palatable. Another purpose is to make the wine more stable by forcing MLF rather than allowing it to take place on its own - which can sometimes happen after the wine is bottled.

Adding lactic acid will not accomplish this, because the malic acid still exists.

Contrary to what you may have read, MLF is not that advanced of a winemaking technique. In fact, many wines go through MLF without you even being aware its happening. Providing the proper conditions means making sure the wine contains only a minimal amount of SO2 (a preservative - bacteria don't like it), is not too acidic (bacteria also don't like acid), too hot or too cold, or too alcoholic (alcohol is also not conducive to bacteria, which is why it's sometimes used to sterilize wounds). That's really all it takes, and is much easier than it sounds.

One other thing. You mention testing for sodium. I think you mean SO2, which is sulphur dioxide.
    Last edited by NorthernWiner; 13-10-2011, 07:13 PM.
    Steve

Comment

Thanks

Hi Steve

Thanks for that reply it was kind of yo to take so much time.

Looks like I need to leap over the edge

Malcolm
      Malc

Comment

Working...
      X