What happens next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens next?

This is a question for the Grapefest veterans really.

My Grapefest wines are now sat bulk ageing but they are still dropping sediment. I racked off the gross lees, pressed, racked again after a further 4 weeks after they had finished fermenting and added 5ml/gallon of 10% potassium metabisulphite. That was about a month ago and the wines have thrown a fine sediment varying from a couple of millimetres to maybe 5mm thick.

I had intended to leave the wine bulk ageing for something like 10months to allow the wine to clear naturally if possible and then worry about fining if they didn't clear.

I have roughly 9 separate containers of Merlot, Sangiovese and a 2nd run blend. All racking has been done under vacuum and the wine is quite well degassed.

Is it ok to leave the wine on the fine sediment?
    What should the timescale be for further racking and pot met additions?
    Should I fine the wine sooner rather than later to remove any sediment in suspension?

Rob

Hiya Rob, Good news is it should clear all on it's on own in the 10 months. I leave mine in the cold garage and usually over the winter it drops clear. The long low temps seem to cold stabilize it, dropping out a fair few crystals.

Mine is in the same state as yours, with a little bit of sediment. Hopefully Koomber is going to mlf test it though in the next couple of weeks to make sure that's finished, I can then rack and sulphite it.

I'll try and rack again then towards the end of the cold weather, about Feb/March time. Then not touch it till I rack it off for bottling in June/July. Adding a bit more sulphite before bottling (Hopefully with testing the sulphite too this year)

Comment

Thanks for the reply Rich, I shall stop fretting

Having read quite a lot of books on the subject I kind of know what to do but as a Grapefest virgin I worry that I might miss something or do something at the wrong time and wind up with 20 gallons of vinegar.

Cheers again

Rob

Comment

Indeed. No need to fret.

I will rack any day now (ish) after MLF, sulphite and then bed down for the winter. I then rack again in march. Done!

PS if Grahem gets the MLF test to work - can you post the results please - I may as well use yours - I can't see a thing on mine
        Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 16-11-2011, 07:02 PM.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Hi Rob,

Like you, I broke my duck this year and officially became a wine making addict.

As you have already racked your brew, it is a bit late this year, but just to completely muddy the waters for you have a read of this very interesting article.

www.brsquared.org...surlie.htm

My Merlot K1-V ferment has just finished its MLF and is still on its gross lees after being drawn off as free run from the fermenter, so I intend to rack and finish the top half in glass and then "bâtonnage" the remainder in an HDPE barrel -- as usual - just to see...

Strangely, my Merlot BDX is still gently running its MLF.

Derek
          Last edited by DerekSmith; 18-11-2011, 07:47 PM. Reason: added notification

Comment

Sorry to hear about your duck !
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
              Hopefully Koomber is going to mlf test it though in the next couple of weeks to make sure that's finished, I can then rack and sulphite it.
              I am? Uh, i mean I AM! Yes. Totally prepared.
              Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
              Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
              -Police Squad

Comment

Very interesting and useful article about sur lie but I was under the impression that it was only used on White wines.

I decided to keep things simple this year and use the experience to learn as much as possible. Next year I will be more adventurous.

Araldite works a treat for broken ducks

Comment

Working...
                X