Kaptain Koomber's Keggerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kaptain Koomber's Keggerator

Thought I'd post this here since my other builds have got some attention. This time I'm going for the big one.
    (For those who grace other forums, I have posted it there too, but I love to share )

A KEGGERATOR

I've decided to build myself a kegerator for Christmas, and rather than go at it in my usual half baked attempts (measure once, cut hand) I've decided to design the kegerator in Sketchup so that it is as accurate as possible and I can get an idea of what it will look like when I'm done.

Before I begin, the idea for the Beer tower came from here:

Here are a couple pics of what I'm proposing-

Looking Dead on at the keggerator:
    As you can see I'm planning painting the fridge unit itself black. You can make out how much space the compressor is taking upon the left hand image. This image also shows how much of a gap there is above the cornies and the worktop. I'm thinking 50mm will be enough for hoses and other stuff that may protrude. Not sure though.
    The right hand picture shows the Wooden extension that I'll need to build. I'm going to make that out of an old solid wood door I have in the flat.
    The black 'arch' on the top is the draft tower. This is going to be made from 110mm soil pipe (like goes in the back of yer toilet) with mitered corners which are glued together. According to most reports this should give plenty of structural strength for the taps which will be going in them. The tubing will be insulated with whatever I can find around the house (the missus doesn't need her yoga mat does she?) and I'll cut a space in the back for access to the back of the taps.
    For the curious, I'm using 110mm pipe because the taps I want come with 70mm shanks and I'd rather not pay for new ones for the build. Worst comes to worst though, I'll cut the shanks.

And from the top:

This gives a better view of where the taps will be living. The distance from the bar to the middle of the tap will be 25cm which should by my estimates give good clearance under the tap for a pint glass (assuming 150mm high pint glass). I've set the tower back slightly so that it has space the wasters who (God Willing) will hang around at my affront to the temperance movement. The bar itself will also be made from the remains of the door. I'll put some nice wood round the edge to hide the fact it was a door.

Why only 3 kegs?
    The 4th space will be for gas, tube heater, fan, bottles, etc to go.

Why I need your help
    I really don't fancy having to do this more than once and I think the one thing which could kill me is the height of the taps from the ground. By my calculations, to the top of the tower will be approx 135cm (4ft 5 inches) from the ground. Does this height seem okay? The bar itself will be about 1m 4cm from the ground to the top. I'm hoping that this will be okay for comfort but I'd like to sound some of the more experienced people on the forums out before I build.

All things going to plan I'll build the wooden frame and top this weekend.
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Height. Normal household worktop height is 3ft.
    So imo 4ft 5inches does seem a smidge high.
    I am 6ft 3 if I thrust my arm out straight and level (as if passing you a beer!!) That is more or less 4ft 5inches too.

Thought: In fitted kitchen, the top of the tower will be INSIDE the cupboards above the work surface.

At the end of the day it personal choice, unless you are starting a production line.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
      Height. Normal household worktop height is 3ft.
      So imo 4ft 5inches does seem a smidge high.
      I am 6ft 3 if I thrust my arm out straight and level (as if passing you a beer!!) That is more or less 4ft 5inches too.

Thought: In fitted kitchen, the top of the tower will be INSIDE the cupboards above the work surface.

At the end of the day it personal choice, unless you are starting a production line.
      Fear not good sir! It's going in my laundry room, along with the finest security sytem provided by 2x4 technology. So cupboards aren't a major concern (unlike theiving neightbours).

I plan to use it in the laundry room from day to day and haul it up when I have a party every so often. If it's not being used as a keggerator I can use it as a fermentation cabninet.
      -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
        If it's not being used as a keggerator I can use it as a fermentation cabninet.
        Clever! Nice one.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Found a piece of pipe that is perfect at work. Niiiiice.
          -Police Squad

Comment

Hows it going?

Comment

It kind of got put on hold over the holiday season.

I condemned my old grain mill to the bin because it was very slow, so I ordered a new one from the states (from Crankandstein) that didn't come with a base or a hopper so I had to build myself one. Got it finished though and it works like a charm.

The mill took priority as I had no beer to put in the kegerator.
              -Police Squad

Comment

What NO beer? More show!

PS "grain mill" - are you malting your own !

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                  What NO beer? More show!

PS "grain mill" - are you malting your own !
                  Afraid I'm not malting my own, but because I live so bloody far away from any homebrew shop I bulk buy base malt and then crush as I need. This doesn't make the grain any cheaper but it does mean I can reduce the postage costs as I only get 2-3 orders in a year rather than one per brew.
                  I buy it uncrushed as it helps to keep the malt fresh for far longer than if it is crushed.
                  I also buy speciality malts in 1kg bag uncrushed so I can use as required.

Yes I a grip. BAH HUMBUG!
                  -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
                    I buy it uncrushed as it helps to keep the malt fresh for far longer than if it is crushed.
                    this was always my understanding, but recently a very well respected beer judge told me that it makes no difference (as long as it is kept dry....but that applies to uncrushed too)

there is an issue with the crushed grain "settling" though

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                      this was always my understanding, but recently a very well respected beer judge told me that it makes no difference (as long as it is kept dry....but that applies to uncrushed too)

there is an issue with the crushed grain "settling" though

regards
                      Bob
                      I sensed a great disturbance in the force... Like 8000 pennies cried out as one...
                      -Police Squad

Comment

haha

these are not the grains you were looking for................
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Hey Koomber are you going to keg condition or force carbonate ? I just built a Cabonator out of a chest freezer i must say it works like the best man. (-
                          http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
                            Hey Koomber are you going to keg condition or force carbonate ? I just built a Cabonator out of a chest freezer i must say it works like the best man. (-
                            I've found that I'm utterly useless at force carbonating. I think this is a combination of using a 'widget world' style carbonation system previously, where you apply pressure as needed and me being just rubbish at it and impatient. I also suspect that using a party tap rather than a faucet may have contributed along with using a too short length of beer line.

For the keggerator I'm planning priming with sugar and then using the CO2 cylinder to keep the pressure on. I've found that this gives the most consistent carbonation with my setup, though this might change with my current setup. I've never really found sedimentation to be a problem with this method either. I do put some gelatin in the keg which will help with clearing and might (this is a complete guess) help to keep the yeast from stirring during pouring.

I might have another shot at force carbonating though.
                            -Police Squad

Comment

Force Carbonating works very well if you use a stone for the carbonation and keep you beer temperture cold. I built mine and used a electrical interupter for temperture control. I put a 2 micron stone into the keg on the in gas side on a hose to about 3/4 the way to the bottom of the keg. I put on about 15lbs of co2. I first force carbinate the stone then let the CO2 equalize the pressure I want. I then bleed off the CO2 slowly after the temerture is down to 1C about two min of bleed then allow the CO2 to build pressure again when that has happened I shake the keg still under pressure for a few real good ones. Allow the keg to sit under pressure over night and bingo presto done deal. I have tried with out a stone with very mixed results. The key being temperture and bubbling the co2 in through the stone. What you are acutally doing is beating off the O2 with the CO2 and replacing that O2 with CO2. Make sure there is equalization head space other wise your hard work will just be foam.
                              Last edited by rjb222; 05-01-2012, 11:17 PM. Reason: missed part of the process
                              http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Working...
                              X