Help! My Merlot has white lumps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! My Merlot has white lumps.

I am a bit concerned about some white lumps that have appeared in all 3 of the containers of my Grapefest Merlot. They are stuck to the side of the neck at surface level and don't wash off if I agitate the dj. I've tried google and the nearest I can find is Flowers of wine but that is a mould that spreads across the surface whereas what I have got is stuck on the glass.

Should I assume it is a bacteria and filter the wine into clean containers and add more pot met as per the solution on Jack Kellers website or has anyone got any other advice?
    Attached Files

yuck i wouldnt drink any of that

Comment

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
      I've tried google and the nearest I can find is Flowers of wine but that is a mould that spreads across the surface whereas what I have got is stuck on the glass.
      I wouldn't worry about it one bit. It's definitely not candida mycoderma ("flowers of wine"). Looks more like what I like to call "schmutz."

Sometimes you see protein solids or waxy bits affix themselves in the neck.

Just maintain sulphite levels and keep it topped up, and you should be good as gold.
      Steve

Comment

Phew!! Thanks Steve, I had convinced myself that I had got a serious problem. This is such a learning process.

Cheers

Comment

Spot on Steve.
          I can only add, if they offend you, rather than racking, gently add a small amount of good top up wine until they float over the top of the DJ. Then reseal.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I don't find them offensive, a little unsightly maybe. Now I know they are probably benign I will leave them until I need to rack again in the spring.

Comment

Working...
            X