Sell by date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell by date?

I've made a few kits and I've had great beers always managed to get them 6 weeks old and they're fine. Now that I've been very productive I've had some that have gone musty or have an unpleasant yeasty taste. They've all been good at 6 weeks but as they've got older have gone past their best. Could this be the fact that I've been using swintops (not Grolsch) and they would have been OK in crown caps or have they simply past their sell by date?
    Examples Woodfordes Headcracker bottled July opened last week (As per instructions all SG targets hit and 2nd fermentation with 4 ounces of light spray malt) Coopers Canadian Blonde (exactly as per Coopers instructions enhanser No1 and carbo drops) mid August and opened last week. Stored in the dark in the cellar 10-16c.
    Thanks Pete
    Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

It could be the bottles, though swing top are usually OK, I have stored beers for up to 2 years in crown cap bottles and have been fine
    The Headcracker due to it's alchol content should easily last this long, what is the condition of carbonation upon opening? loss of co2 could be causing early spoilage.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Carbonation was good but after a bit of investigation what I’ve noticed is that when you pop the bottle the sediment leaps from the bottom of the bottles as it there was gas underneath it. I've got kegged beer older that these and they're fine I'll give the crown caps a try on another headcracker/strong ale keep the swing tops for BBQ lighter ales to be drunk earlier after all it's not often my beers get to 6 months old. Thanks for the help
      I was at pub next to the Woodfords brewery over Christmas and I have to say by comparison to the kits the beers are not as flavourful (or could that be the kits are overpowering if you're used to the real thing ) but very recognisably Woodfordes. And you have to try them all! They do good food in the pub too and tours of the brewery if anyone wants to visit.
      Pete

Comment

Can you try giving one of the headcrackers a good shake and then leaving it to allow the sediment to settle again? Just a thought, I've not experienced the problem, my own headcracker (bottled mid Sept) is almost brilliant... the 'almost' is because 1 bottle I've had failed to do the 2nd fermentation, it was flat and I could taste the sweet from the 1/4 tsp of sugar. I was lazy and put the bottles straight into store, knowing the temp was 'marginal' - so it's my own silly fault.
        Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
        Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Originally posted by RTPFUN View Post
          what I’ve noticed is that when you pop the bottle the sediment leaps from the bottom of the bottles as it there was gas underneath it. .
          Pete
          Could well be over carbonated, by either too much priming sugar or bottling at too high gravity. the eruption of the yeast will impart off flavours in the beer. For Bitter you should be aiming for just a slight hiss on opening and minimum carbonation.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

OK next time I'll try a little less primer I'm using 4 ounces of light spray malt in the Headcracker but in the others it's coopers carbonation drops in 500cc bottles Yes lazy boys primer. I've been good with my hydrometer so they've all been 1010 on bottle day.
            And the alarm bells ring as I write this!!! Duffbeer you've sorted the Headcracker for me. 4oz is too much that's for a full 23 ltr/40 pint brew and Headcracker is a short measure 24 pints.

Comment

Toulousleplot,
              If you are to have the same issues then yours should be good for another couple of months Mine were bottled 1st July and I didn't have issues until December. I've got some Admirals Reserve (pint in hand quality assurance testing) and it's great bottled 1st Sept but I'm worried that that too will go off over time.

Comment

Originally posted by RTPFUN View Post
                OK next time I'll try a little less primer I'm using 4 ounces of light spray malt in the Headcracker but in the others it's coopers carbonation drops in 500cc bottles Yes lazy boys primer. I've been good with my hydrometer so they've all been 1010 on bottle day.
                And the alarm bells ring as I write this!!! Duffbeer you've sorted the Headcracker for me. 4oz is too much that's for a full 23 ltr/40 pint brew and Headcracker is a short measure 24 pints.
                I would say 1010 on bottle day was a bit too high I let mine ferment to the very end then bottle with 1/4 tespooon sugar to each pint bottle then it turns out just conditioned rather than fizzy.

On the sediment question you raised I find Muntons Gold yeast leaves a very compact sediment and after a while almost rubbery which does not raise up when opening teh bottle. Also fermenting to the end prior to bottling may leave less sediment in the liquid in the first instance.

Malcolm
                Malc

Comment

Working...
                X