Pinot noir?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinot noir?

Hi. I noticed Wilkinsons are selling these vines for £4 each. Is it worth trying to grow them outdoors in the UK?

I have no idea why this ended up in here as well as the other area?

Comment

Can anyone tell me why I'm posting in two different areas of the forum despite only posting in one?

Comment

I can say thanks for the tip: I just bought 3 vines. Last 3 in the shop (there is a huge wine-from-vine community here) and if they don't work it's les than £10.

I've no idea about your posting questions, probably aliens from the planet Zog.

They are doing a chardonay as well as blueberries and other berries, looks a good find if they grow to maturity.

Great posting, thanks!
        Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
        Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

I bought two last year, stuck them in pots and they seem ok though one is struggling a little bit and it did take a while to get going at the beginning of the year now that i think about it...

I'd say if you are serious about vines then get them from a reputable supplier and source specific recommended varieties... If you just fancy trying them out to see how they grow (like I did) then at £4 each it's worth a punt!

Other fruit bushes i have had from there have all come good in the past other than a blueberry which I didn't realised needed acid soil - so one of them is going in a pot this year. I've also got myself a fig!

Comment

I seem to recall they don't do best in pots 'cos grapes grow a big long tap root which a pot doesn't allow for.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Cheers CR, I was just growing them on for a year or two before I figure out where to put them and now I have the allotment I'm going to bang them in there somewhere...

Comment

I think I'll give them a miss. I was going to get 10 or 20 and plant them in the little vineyard I'm setting up on an exposed site. I don't think its worth the hassle as chances are they won't do too well.

Comment

Originally posted by danpug View Post
                  I think I'll give them a miss. I was going to get 10 or 20 and plant them in the little vineyard I'm setting up on an exposed site. I don't think its worth the hassle as chances are they won't do too well.
                  I should think Pinot Noir would do alright where you live. There are people much farther north in the UK who are growing it (I know for a fact that Bob has a friend in North Yorkshire who grows Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier in his vineyard). The problem, of course, lies in having enough warm, sunny days in the year to ripen the grapes.
                  Steve

Comment

I think you'd be better placed ordering some from a proper retailer if you want that many and I am sure it would be worth it, or getting cuttings from someone who has had success in your area...

Comment

I have two pinot noir vines (purchased from focus) that are thriving here in West Yorkshire, they seem to like our cooler climate
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I have no idea why this ended up in here as well as the other area?
                        This is a subforum of the other area, so your post shows in the header of that forum as being new, but it isnt a double posting

so no worries

If you are planning on buying a lot of vines, then go to a reputable supplier

www.thevinehouse.co.uk is a good supplier. Stuart and elizabeth who run it are lovely people

regards
                        Bob
                        Last edited by lockwood1956; 25-01-2012, 08:41 PM.
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Just raided my nearest Wilkinsons after this post. They only had two of the pinot noir vines, got them and some other fruit bushes. It would be quite exciting to grow the grapes and make the wine. Thanks for the heads up.
                          Last edited by Leon; 26-01-2012, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            This is a subforum of the other area, so your post shows in the header of that forum as being new, but it isnt a double posting

so no worries

If you are planning on buying a lot of vines, then go to a reputable supplier

www.thevinehouse.co.uk is a good supplier. Stuart and elizabeth who run it are lovely people

regards
                            Bob
                            Jeez i was being pretty dumb! Is there any other red grape variety thats better suited to our climate? If i remember correctly Rondo is very popular. At the moment i have four varieties of whites- Madeleine Angevine, Mueller Thurgau, Seyval Blanc and Siegerrebe.

Comment

Why?
                              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                              X