Pinot Grigio: Selection Vs Cantina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinot Grigio: Selection Vs Cantina

I find it helpful to compare two wines, the contrasts remind you of the salient characteristics, here are two Pingos both open and in front of me as I write.

You would think this an unfair match, and it is, but the Cantina comes out better than I thought. It doesn't really taste like a Pinot Grigio and in marks out of 10 - let's say where a 4 is the dividing line between where you might consider leaving it on the pub counter and wandering off, it's probably a 3.8, but another couple of months and we will be in the BBQ season and I think it might find itself in some sort of fruit punch. The problem is 'acetone' or something that tastes so much like it it may as well be acetone - I think the 'designer' was told that Pinot Grigio has characteristics of acetone and citric acid and he had to get home early that day. You will see I opened the bottle and used a vacuvin - we've found that the acetone dissipates with time and an airing; it is really strong on opening the bottle.

The Selection Pingo is a family favourite (we are all over 21), it delivers a good, authentic Pinot Grigio but if you have done all your tasting in Britain's pubs be prepared for a surprise. The Selection result is not sharply acidic or watery thin. It is not the most complex of whites, although a distinctive flavour, it's an easy drinking wine for delicate foods or on its own. Selection have made the most of it, in my view, and it's got a medium body and a good finish and I personally don't lament the absence of acidity, but you can always tinker with the acid if you fancy a bit more sharpness. On the same scale as the Cantina I'll give it a 7.3. No Pingo I can afford is likely to exceed 7.5 and I doubt I'll ever award a 10 for any wine (there was a bottle of Chablis once, back in the 70s...), so please appreciate the conservatism of my scoring allows for nice surprises in the future, as well as wines of an entirely better class.

Conclusions? The Cantina probably isn't value for money. It just slips below the plimsoll line of acceptable - though was that my fault by adding the White Wine enhancer? On the other hand, it isn't only one's best chums that drop round and expect 'a glass of your home-made muck while I'm here', so, why disappoint?

Here are notes if you have made it this far:

Cantina Gold 5-Day Pinot Grigio (21 Litres £29.28) Bottled 16-Nov-11. OG 1.085 FG 0.998 ABV 11.8%
    Made in accordance with instructions BUT 1 tin of White Wine enhancer added at commencement.

Comparison after 3 months in bottle. Bottle opened 5 hours before some removed (for cooking) and a vacuvin stopper used.

Appearance
    Clear, authentic very light straw colour. No 'legs' on glass.
    Nose
    Fresh, predominantly 'acetone' notes (nail-polish remover/acid drops)
    Taste
    Light, slightly fragrant, dry but with sweetness on the front and side of tongue. Mouthfeel reasonable. Presence of acetone flavour is moderate but slightly overwhelms the other flavours, which aren't strong. Citrus (simple lemon).
    Finish
    A positive finish, slightly tongue-rough (tannin?), noticeable acidity but not overdone.

Selection International Pinot Grigio (23 Litres £69.95) Bottled 1-Aug-11. OG 1.083 FG 0.993 ABV 12.1%
    Made in accordance with instructions.

At time of writing, 6.5 months in the bottle.

Appearance
    Clear, slightly darker light straw colour. No 'legs' on glass.
    Nose
    Noticeably more complex and balanced, promise of authentic style, melon and deeper, sense of alcohol fumes.
    Taste
    Medium weight, complex but balanced. Dry, no immediate sweetness. Mouthfeel significant. Hint of white grape-skin bitterness, but very low acidity.
    Finish
    A long finish, slightly peppery, flavour and authentic Pinot Grigio notes develop well on and after the swallow, lingers with a touch of melon/white grape flavour a hint of steel, no real acid feel but lots going on at the back of the tongue .
    Last edited by ToulouseLePlot; 14-02-2012, 10:04 PM. Reason: typo spotted
    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Great comparison- well written!

Comment

Good read, many thanks for your insight. Would you say the Selection kit was good value for money compared to shop bought wine?

Comment

Selection Pingo is better than any we buy at Tescburys in £4-6 range, without a shadow of doubt.
        Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.

Comment

Turbo Decanting...

I've found a way to make the Cantina Pingo drinkable, a new technique all the buffs will scream at me for. The problem is the overpowering nose and taste of acetone (nail-varnish remover/acid-drops). Although now 4 months in the bottle it still possesses this characteristic.

So I've taken to pouring the bottle into an empty 2 liter plastic water bottle, screw on the cap and shake it like a demon for a minute. You get a completely frothy suspension, but the froth dissipates in a couple of minutes. Pour back in the bottle and then seal with a vacuvin. Bubbles rise, pump again, bubbles rise, pump again and keep on until bored. Then stick in the fridge and serve 5 hours later.

All I can say is that it works for me. An unacceptable wine scrapes over the bar to be 'OK'.

Comment

Originally posted by ToulouseLePlot View Post
            Turbo Decanting...

I've found a way to make the Cantina Pingo drinkable, a new technique all the buffs will scream at me for. The problem is the overpowering nose and taste of acetone (nail-varnish remover/acid-drops). Although now 4 months in the bottle it still possesses this characteristic.

So I've taken to pouring the bottle into an empty 2 liter plastic water bottle, screw on the cap and shake it like a demon for a minute. You get a completely frothy suspension, but the froth dissipates in a couple of minutes. Pour back in the bottle and then seal with a vacuvin. Bubbles rise, pump again, bubbles rise, pump again and keep on until bored. Then stick in the fridge and serve 5 hours later.

All I can say is that it works for me. An unacceptable wine scrapes over the bar to be 'OK'.
            Don't know if this is an April Fools joke or admittance that the wine wasn't degassed.

Steve
            the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
            "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Originally posted by ToulouseLePlot View Post
              You will not be able to get rid of the acetone taste/smell, it is faulty. There was likely a time in the wines life that it was in a container that perhaps had too much ullage (airspace) above the wine. The smell will be more akin to pear drops than acid drops.

As steve says, the wine hasn't been degassed effectively, which is why there is still CO2 in suspension,,,,wine always smooths out when degassed properly

see tutorial for details

Wine that is not fully degassed will not clear properly, so how can you tell when you have degassed enough? Take a sample of your wine and put it in a sample jar or small bottle, cover the end with your thumb and shake....if you get a fizzzzzzzzz as you release your thumb...your wine still has gas, it's a natural part of the

regards
              bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I'm the fool who is the litmus test for fool-proof, but I do have to clear my name regarding de-gassing. I'm paranoid about degassing & whatever other faults I can throw at a brew that was not one in this case.

Too much headspace, possibly as its not a full 30bt kit, but only for a few days.

Comment

Working...
                X