Turbo Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Cider

I make a fair amount of turbo cider, I'm trying to get it more fruity and drinkable, my present efforts have been arid-dry and sharp. This is OK, as my main purpose is to make cider vinegar - but even that needs a bit more flavour than my last batch which was very alcoholic and so made very acidic vinegar without a lot of flavour. I think I'm homing in on a recipe which will make a good vinegar (has to be over 4.5% acid) and yet an agreeable drink - here's the recipe. It will be 10 days in the FV and 6 weeks in bottle conditioning, I'll tell you how it turns out.

Ingredients:
    10 L Princes Apple Juice (Costco)
    11 L Rio Doro Apple Juice (Aldi)
    1 Can Youngs Definitive Apple Wine (900g)
    1 L boiling water
    50g Tronozymol
    15g pectolase
    Sugar to 1.060 (this case 500g)
    Nottingham Ale Yeast

Method:
    All ingredients except water & sugar into FV, stir, check temp, SG & acidity.
    Acidity <3.8 so no change.
    SG= 1.052 so add 500g sugar dissolved in 1L of boiling water.
    SG now 1.060, temp 20°C.
    Instructions for Yeast, float on 10* own weight of previously boiled water at 32.5°C. Leave 15 mins, then stir into suspension, leave 5 mins. As temp difference only 10°C innoculate wort straight away. Seal under lock, insulate with jacket, leave to ferment out. I'm expecting 1.008 according to yeast factsheet.

When done:
    Split batch: 10L to a clean FV and shake to remove CO2. Transfer to vinegar jar, add natural cider vinegar (purchased) must have mother & be unpasturised. Cover wide open neck of jar with muslin, keep above 15°C for 8 weeks after mother has formed on surface. Test with titration kit that over 4.5% acid. Bottle with very little air in neck of bottle (strain if you're fussy about mother). Retain mother & some vinegar in sealed jam-jar for next batch.

For rest: Prime beer bottles with 2.5g sugar and fill, keep warm for 4-5 days (over 18°C) then leave to clear & condition for 6 weeks.

There may be a few pedants around who want to call this turbo-hybrid-cider because of the apple wine, that's fine, it really won't mind a bit.
    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Go easy with the tronozymol there...... if you use too much it can cause off aromas

50g is 10 teaspoons (unless my maths is wrong?)

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

The Lidl apple juice (apfelsaft) makes a decent cider...last batch i made....4.5 litres juice and Lalvin D47 turned out well

regards
      bob
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks Bob, advice on the nutrient please... the box says 1-2 tsp/gal for dry wine and then more for sweet & strong wine. I understand this is cider, so I'm not looking for 12% ABV but read that apples need nutrient so went for 2tsp/gal. I'm hoping for 1.060 to drop to 1.008 (about 6.5% ABV) as I have to get 4.5%+ acid in the vinegar or the kitchen police say it's not safe for pickling. Are you suggesting ale yeast can cope with (say) 1tsp/gal in a fairly strong alcohol cider?

Incidentally, I throw the pectolase in for want of knowing better. Do you need it with clear apple juice?
        Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.

Comment

I don't think you do need pectolase with clear juice.... There's probably plenty of nutrient already in that wine kit you are throwing in. Any turbo ciders I've done seemed to have managed with 'normal' nutrient levels... 1tsp per gallon...

Presume making this vinegar for pickling is cheaper than buying it...?

Comment

Please check cider vinegar prices next time you're in tescburys... it's bonkers. There is no duty on vinegar and yet it's far more expensive than cider. All the fancy chefs seem to recommend it now and I know why, it really has a much more appealing (geddit?) taste. I can do a pictoral on how to make it if there's any interest and pass on some of the errors & blunders I've learned from. There's a lot of tosh on the web, leaving it in open wooden casks under the eaves of your log-cabin and straining out the flies and insects in the spring was one that sticks in the mind.

You get about 0.9 litre for 1 litre of apple juice (there is a bit of loss for lees & evaporation) so if you don't get fancy with additional wine concentrate and additives it's as cheap as the cheapest turbo cider... say 60-70p/Lit?

Comment

tutorial, yes please. I have been trying to make white wine vinegar. To be fair most white wine is vinegar (stop it Brian)

Seriously I have been trying to make vinegar, but seem unable to be able to get it to start. Any help would be much appreciated.

This "mother" malarkey has me completely foiled.
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I'd definitely like to know how to make it for pickling... Just got an allotment and I'm sure I'll have the odd glut...

Comment

Originally posted by ToulouseLePlot View Post
                  Thanks Bob, advice on the nutrient please... the box says 1-2 tsp/gal for dry wine and then more for sweet & strong wine.

i use tronozymol at the rate of 1/2 tsp per gallon

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Separate thread started for how to make cider vinegar, I guess that's the tidy way to do it.

You may not be able to find 'natural wine vinegar with the mother'... I would suggest you start your wine vinegar off with a natural cider vinegar. I doubt you'll notice any difference and then your next batch you use the mother from the first.

Comment

Working...
                    X