Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hop strainer

Blog Entries

I currently use net curtain material made in to a hop sock though I have considered the suspended pot ala 'spiedel braumeister'. I find the net curtain works fine though and recently gave up trying to over engineer. I find the man made material better than muslin because it dries quicker and doesn't stain. I don't like the thought of putting my brewing equipment in the washing machine though so net curtain works better for me because i leave it to dry, shake off the hop debris then give it a rinse under the shower head.
    Last edited by Delmonteman; 26-03-2012 at 07:47 PM.

I think net curtain is good. Found this as a frame - not too over engineered and allows for hop additions later in the brew.

hop bag frame.jpg

Slight over engineering - only really needs three stays not four

I think this is probably as good as it gets.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free you gotta love this red wine diet!

I just had a brainwave. I recently bought a wine aerator thingy (on a whim as usual). It looks like a perpex funnel with holes drilled in the sides and works on the Venturi/Bernoulli principle to draw air into wine that is poured in through it. I'm not convinced it improves plonk quality but think it maybe excellent as a wort aerator. Am I a genius or what (or can you already buy them for wort use?). May need a bit of work (eg screen over the top of the filter to keep bits of hops out) but I think this has promise.

linky... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classico-Win...ef=pd_sim_kh_1

What do you think Brian?

http://markblades.com
    Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
    These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Blog Entries

Where'd you get that frame brian or did you make it? I'd say that's as good as it gets too with a hop sock... You see, no need for copper pipe or wire mesh etc...

Quote Originally Posted by mcblades View Post
    I'm not convinced it improves plonk quality
    it really really does...try it
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

I surely will when it's finished aerating my wort

http://markblades.com
    Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
    These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Quote Originally Posted by mcblades View Post
    ... but think it maybe excellent as a wort aerator...
    Nah. I have a 240v wort airator which is brillaint. Add started yeast an stir. I have 100% record for same day (typically 8 hours) fermentation start.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faithfull-FA...2831219&sr=1-2

It will make a difference to wine - I have a venturi on one of my pump lines - OH YES 1000000000000000% it does work.
    Don;t want to start a old topic, but wine needs air. I would keep it as aerator, after use give it a few minutes to do its magic.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free you gotta love this red wine diet!

Quote Originally Posted by Delmonteman View Post
    You see, no need for copper pipe or wire mesh etc...
    I can hear you grinning

Found this on a US brewing forum. I am going to source the bit in the middle - it is a 4 inch pipe fitting. I have a cunning plan.

The trouble with reading too many US forum is you come away with all sorts things - decoction - RIMS - PIDs - HERMS - step mashing - yyyeeeuuuk I need a shower!!
    Over engineering on a whole new scale - you haven't seen nothing!! Not for your delicate constitution

I have found the perfect centre. A small stainless steel saucepan (from a car boot) with the bottom cut out and the handle removed.

Pictures to follow.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12