Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little pic attached for your delectation........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little pic attached for your delectation........

As the saying goes, "where there's muck, there's brass"

The pic shows how many empty, used but label free, wine bottles can be "safely" stacked into the boot/back seat of an ancient peugeot 205, without killing the rear suspension !

On wednesday, I pitched up at a local, West Sussex, winery/vineyard to collect a couple of pallets for shipping. When the chap appeared with the forklift, I was drooling over a big stack of stillages that contained a mountain of bottles. I mentioned that it would be great to get hold of some, only to be told that these were due for recycling, because the winery have found that it's best to bottle into new bottles that are easily sterilised - washing out used "process bottles" wasn't cost effective etc etc. He went on to say that he'd ask if I could have some, and the person asked, said they'd check with the boss and let me know one way or another on the thursday.

I had to go back on the thursday, when the woman in the winery office said it was fine for me to have some of the bottles (presumably it's cheaper as they don't have to pay the recylcer to take them away), but I couldn't have the stillages as they need them for production.

The attached pic is the result of this mornings mission to pick up as many as I could fit into the car. Shame I don't have the garden/garage space of "Mr Morton", as there was about 7500 bottles, sitting there, in need of washing out and filling.

And I be you'll never guess what I'll be doing today
    Attached Files
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

And I thought I was doing well with my 'crop' of 46 collected last week from pub & club I have an understanding with! Some are in steriliser as I write, the Selection Rioja will be in them before fish & chips tonight! You sure do have to love washing-up to get the most out of this industrious pastime. Well done, best of luck with your bottle-brush, I'd put it on my black & decker if I were you!
    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

well, that's 90% of the bottles sorted out now standing with a weak solution of bleach. I also went down to the HBS and picked up one of those "christmas tree bottle drainers", so that I can wash them out in batches of 80.

I still haven't counted them, but the guesstimate is about 250 to 300 bottles or about 4% of what they had sitting there.......
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Nice one!

Just for the record, most Bordeaux bottles weigh about half a kilo.
        So once you wash them all through if you half the number you can work out how close he came to breaking the suspension :-)
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
        X