Bu99er the freezers dead mead.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bu99er the freezers dead mead.......

Been a bit of a bizarre week. On monday we found that the freezer was dead, and as it was after 2pm, we couldn't get one delivered "next day"....... A new one was delivered on Wednesday afternoon.

The result of this, was that with careful handling, we didn't loose too much of the food. But it was a bit weird having duck legs in orange sauce (toast to mop up the sauce) for breakfast one day, or a fish pie another.

But the bags of fruit that Clare was using for weight control snacks ended up in the fridge....... what to do with those ?

Ha! I know, mix a mead must up and chuck the fruit in as it will go off if left in the fridge much longer. So I've just mixed 4lb of honey (a little generic "Mexican" honey i.e. about a pound and a half, the rest made up from the bucket of Polish buckwheat honey I have), made up to 5 litres with cold water. The fruit and defrosted juice has gone into that (about 2 or 3 lb total - but unsure what size Clare had weighed it out as, into portions).

For the moment, I've just crushed a campden tablet and put that into it as well, as I figured it's a common sense precaution. I was hoping to put some pectolase in it as well, but it seems that I'd run out of that for now and won't be able to get any until next week. So I'll just let the sulphites do their thing for at least 24 hours, while I think about which way I want to progress with this one.

Not counting the fruit, the must currently measures 1.100 and I'll check through my yeasts to see what I've got. I'll probably start the yeast with a little must and some GoFerm, then pitch that once it's rehydrated. RC-212 would be nice as it's known for it's colour retention etc, though I know that I've definitely got K1V and D21 so I'll have to go and have a look.

I'm thinking that I'll probably have to get some more of the fruit (mixed summer fruit, frozen, from tesco's), as I'd like to have it as a medium sweet, but fruity tasting mead.

I'll have to wait and see........
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
    But it was a bit weird having duck legs in orange sauce (toast to mop up the sauce) for breakfast one day, or a fish pie another.
    Should have had duck legs in orange sauce on toast - that would have been a proper breakfast
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
      Should have had duck legs in orange sauce on toast - that would have been a proper breakfast
      Just made more sense to dip/mop with the toast, as the duck was on the bone... :-P
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Quack!
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
        X