Clear All

• Youngs 6 Bottle kits

Have done the following Youngs 6 bottle kits

Peach bottled Dec 2011
    Elderberry bottled Dec 2011
    Strawberry bottled Feb 2012
    Blackcherry bottled Feb 2012
    Blackberry bottled Feb 2012

All racked and at the time of bottling had a little taste and all seemed promising, however we have only tried the Peach last month which was very nice, crisp and light, hit the spot...although I prefer reds.

As for the others I intend to leave them a couple more months but may give the Elderberry a whirl this weekend..Watch this space..

Don't knock until you've tried it, you never know you might like it............

Sasquatch

Good to see! I don't seem to come across many people who do these kits so it would be really good to hear more when you crack them back open in a few months. Especially the cherry and berry ones!

Good luck!

Comment

I will definitely crack open the Elderberry at the weekend and let you know...it's been 5 months now so I am hoping it will be nice...Fingers crossed

Sasquatch

Comment

It was a Youngs kit that got me started - Cab Sauv - not very good at time so popped it into storadge for "a while".

Have used a youngs cherry as an additive to a cherry "port style" wine - super duper delish

Comment

I am going to have to try one of these "port style" wines sometime...do you have a recipe to hand?

There's probably one somewhere on the forum I suppose...My problem is, finding the time at the moment, working away Mon to Fri doesn't help followed by slowly re-vamping the kitchen at the weekends...

I am having withdrawl symptoms....

Sasquatch

Comment

Update,

The Youngs Elderberry a big success, even my daughter gives it the thumbs up.......I will now have to put a lock on my wine store

Sasquatch

Comment

Great news! Did it bulk age for long before you bottled it? Keep us updated on the rest of them!

Comment

It was sat in the DJ for about a month before I bottled it, and then been sat around for about 3-4 months before trying ( don't have my logs with me at the mo as I work away)
                The others have been sat for about 4 months,looking forwards to trying the strawberry as that was very tasty when I tried it whilst bottling. Going to give it another month though!

Sasquatch

Comment

I've just set off a Young's black cherry kit to offer as tastings on my homebrew stall. I don't make wine from kits these days, but I thought I'd better re-acquaint myself with them. So easy, and quick too - I made it up whilst I was waiting for my tea to cook.
                  Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
                  Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
                  Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquatch View Post
                    I am going to have to try one of these "port style" wines sometime...do you have a recipe to hand?

There's probably one somewhere on the forum I suppose...My problem is, finding the time at the moment, working away Mon to Fri doesn't help followed by slowly re-vamping the kitchen at the weekends...

I am having withdrawl symptoms....
                    Do you have a supply of elderberries (and possibly blackberries)? If so I'll post a recipe or two which have worked well for me.
                    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
                    X