Elderberry and Grape juice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderberry and Grape juice ?

I was trying to decide what to do with the 2 gallons of last years steam extracted elderberry juice. Plus I had 4 litres of Red Grape juice that was out of date (but tasted fine).

So I've just mixed it up in a bucket and put a couple of kilo's of honey in with it. I wasn't sure what yeast to use, but found the pack of BDX that Brian kindly gave me at last years grapefest.

Now that's a red wine yeast isn't it, and I'm not sure with out a good search round, whether I've got any RC-212 or not.

I'm figuring that as the elderberry is quite tannic, if it's gonna need extended ageing once fermented etc, then that's not a problem.

Just that it might have some of the qualities of a heavy, tannic french vino (I've just put it in the mead forum as I've used honey for the fermentable sugars).

I've put some crushed campden tablets in it for the moment, just to stabilise it enough to prevent any oxidation of the juice in the short term (I'll have to leave it until at least tomorrow before pitching the yeast, as it's gonna have to sit for 24 hours for the sulphites to dissipate).

It's just measured at 1.070 and I'm thinking whether it might need a bit more honey or not ? As some of you will know, I make mostly traditional meads and not so many fruit based ones, hence the question

Whaddya think ?
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Just had a quick look at the Lallemand yeast chart, as well as a check of Bob's %ABV chart. I'm thinking that I'll need to have a gravity of between 1.090 and 1.100, which should give me somewhere about the 12% + levels of alcohol.

Also, the BDX should do the job admirably.........
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Yes yes and yes. BDX will work well I have been impressed with its results. I would settle for 1.090 myself. I think you have a good combo there - elderberries have complimented red grapes since time in memorial. Whats the PH ?
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Steaming makes the elderberry juice less tannic

N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
          Yes yes and yes. BDX will work well I have been impressed with its results. I would settle for 1.090 myself. I think you have a good combo there - elderberries have complimented red grapes since time in memorial. Whats the PH ?
          don't know, I didn't think to check that (yet - the football is priority ATM) ;D
          Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          Steaming makes the elderberry juice less tannic

Ha! Didn't seem like that when I was pouring it out Bob. It had as much depth of colour as watered down black currant jam, and a very dark pigment had settled out - some would (I'd presume) be pigment, but some tannins ?

I'm checking out about additional nutrition as well. Would BDX possibly get stinky if the brew lacked nitrogen a la RC-212 ?

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I generally find that elderberry made from steamed juice is drinkable in year one
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              I generally find that elderberry made from steamed juice is drinkable in year one
              So that means I've got to bring a bottle for Grapefest 2012 ?

Some blog ramblings

Comment

indeedy do

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                  Would BDX possibly get stinky if the brew lacked nitrogen a la RC-212 ?
                  Oh Yes ! (there's a pattern forming here with my answers)

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                  So that means I've got to bring a bottle for Grapefest 2012 ?
                  ... but your maths is shocking thats in 2 months not 12
                  Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 25-06-2012, 07:13 AM.
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                    -----%<-----
                    ... but your maths is shocking thats in 2 months not 12
                    Ok, perhaps that was optimistic (or just rubbish autocomplete), I suspect I was alluding too Grapefest 2013.....

Some blog ramblings

Comment

FB, got to agree with Bob about steaming elders making them a bit less tannic, and even less acidic? We like to take 2 gallons of steamed juice and add it to a 3 gallon grape port kit, jack up the gravity with sugar or honey and keep feeding it until the yeast just gives up. It makes an excellent wine, but the comp judges so far have been confused by it, they expect a grape port to taste a certain way, or a fruit dessert wine to taste like the liquidized version of jam with alcohol in it, but the two together, even with a little oak makes a nice sipper on the deck watching the deer playing in the pasture. Cracked
                      WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

Comment

Working...
                      X