This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keg question - CO2

Sorry if this is a daft question....I am kegging my latest beer, but have never used a pressure barrel, only bottles. It's the Young's Basic pressure barrel with CO2 injector (using 8g CO2 bulbs). Am I right in thinking that after kegging the beer, I don't put the top on that came with it, but the one with the valve and then hand-tighten. Then, when I need to add CO2 I just pop a bulb into the red holder and screw that into the valve. Is that right?
    And how will I know how much CO2 to add when the time comes? Will one bulb serve for one 40-pint batch?
    Thanks folks
    Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
    Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
    Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

Hold off with the co2 bulb, there isn't enough room in the keg to accomodate the full 8g bulb at this stage and will leak out through the pressure relief seal.(you have no control on the amount the bulb releases)

Prime your barrel with 2 & 1/2 ounces of sugar and allow to secondary ferment, this should allow you to dispense abour two thirds of your beer, then add the bulb when pressure drops as you have described above.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

A lot of people moan about youngs pressure barrels (or budget barrels in general) saying they leak gas and beer goes off and all sorts of stuff like that.

Whereas others say that so long as you treat them with a bit of tlc they can perform well... Just thought I'd mention it given they are new to you...

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
        A lot of people moan about youngs pressure barrels (or budget barrels in general) saying they leak gas and beer goes off and all sorts of stuff like that.

Whereas others say that so long as you treat them with a bit of tlc they can perform well... Just thought I'd mention it given they are new to you...
        I think that might be the reason people move up to corny kegs with a separate gas cylinder.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

S30 cylinders are better than the bulbs, A. they last longer and save money (Brian) , B. you can control the amount of co2 charged without over pressuring and removing the need to secondary ferment.

I also agree with Delmonteman, these economy barrels are fine provided used correctly.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks chaps!

Comment

Dead thread, but it was posted on my 29th Birthday so I feel obliged to comment!

I've had Young's Barrels, King Kegs and Corny Kegs. Cornies are the easiest to work with in my opinion, they just have a slightly higher price of admision. Though they can be a bit twitchy at sealing around the lid at times. The main thing about king kegs is that you can fit your arm inside which is handy for cleaning.

The Young's barrel is a beast. As has been mentioned, a bit of TLC (like pipe tape around the tap where it screws into the barrel) and these things are brilliant. If I had the space I'd probably have a couple of these as well as my cornies. Easy to work with, and cheap as chips. LONG LIVE THE BUDGET BARREL!
                Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                -Police Squad

Comment

Well, the best way to learn is to do it! I have got on fine with the Young's pressure barrel. If anything, my beer was too gassy, which is odd when nearly all the problems you see posted are that the beer is flat. So I have used the budget keg, no problems, and now I have stripped down and reconditioned an ancient King Keg that someone kindly gave me. I converted the S30 fitting to CO2 bulbs, mainly cos I am far too poor to buy a new S30 at the moment. Might change it back when funds permit. I prefer this barrel, especially because it has a float and a sprinkler thingy. `

Comment

Working...
                  X