Joe's Mead with real yeast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe's Mead with real yeast?

While pursuing some breadmaking ingredients I have been given some proper bakers yeast. (from a real baker and everything)

Would this work for Joe's M's Mead recipe? or should I stick to powdered instant?

( here's looking at you JFB )
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Cant see why it wouldn't work
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

It should work fine Brian. The only real "hazard" with JAO, is the temptation to use wine yeast, which invariably ferments it dry and it's not a good dry recipe, because the lack of sweetness gives focus to the bitterness that comes from the orange pith.

It's fair to say, that according to Oskaar (one of the Admin's over at Gotmead), Joe would consider anything other than Fleischmanns is "voiding the warranty". Yet Fleischmanns is a US brand, that's not available here. I usually use either Allinsons or even Co-oP own brand (like I did with my last batch). It still turns out fine, as it does if you just make the batch up to 1 imp gallon, instead of 1 US gallon, just fractionally less sweet (which I prefer).
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thanks Chaps
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

you can get a 500g block of fresh yeast from the sainsburys bakery counter. cost me 90p last time i bought it (before sourdough )

http://markblades.com
          Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
          These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Well I might regret saying this (particularly because its white) but this isn't too bad.

However I do know why I use wine yeast now - this yeast stirs up a fuss quicker than calling a teenage girl fat !!

Does anybody have any tips on the best way to bottle/filter this? or do you bottle it with a little bit of 'life' in the bottom?

Also, while I am here - has anybody got any tips forgetting the remaining fruit out of the DJ please?

Comment

I tend to either rack the whole batch to another DJ, allowing a bit of sediment, then cold crash it for a day or two, or I rack the cleared part carefully to bottles, then the bit that's close to the sediment gets racked to a 2 litre pop bottle that's had the top cut off, then with the cloudy bit in the bottle it gets a cling film hat and cold crash it and then rack it to minimise racking losses.

Oh, and I usually move the DJ the day before because it seems you can bring the sediment back into suspension just by looking at it........

The fruit is often so soft after being fermented like this, that it can often be removed by just shaking it out the DJ, but I also find a piece of bent wire (coat hanger or similar) works well......

Did the fruit actually sink ? As mine usually take the better part of 3 months for that !
              Last edited by fatbloke; 01-09-2012, 09:54 AM.
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

It has sunk. Started soon as I touched the dj.

Ta for the advice, Will give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                X