Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grapefest 2012 - What are you planning to make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grapefest 2012 - What are you planning to make?

I'm just curious to know what people are planning to make this year (apart from 'wine').

I have realised that my earliest Grapefest reds are probably the best I have made, so for me it'll be back-to-basics: no fancy yeasts, no expensive oak, just basic, straightforward techniques.

I WILL be making some rosé. I seem to do quite well with them, so if it aint broke .....

I'm not sure if I'll bother with Trebbiano, if it is available. The results have been unremarkable each year. I might take a gallon to try a white port though.

What about you?
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Not really put my thinking cap on in this regard yet.....

however, I'm not bothering with any white as it has always dissapointed.

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

For me, probably 2 lots of 6 trays (so 10 gallons hopefully in all) of red, either of 2 different red varietals, or one single one. Also, based on 2011's experiences, i'm going to do a rose WN1 "Goldseal Styleeeee", so making a WN1 must and 'steeping' the grape skins in the WN1. (will bring a bottle of 2011 Garnacha WN1 Rose to GF with me for review/comment from the learned team!!)

Also doubtful on having any Trebb, as (for me), WN1 is just as drinkable, and a lot less hassle!!!!
      "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

A pyment, though I was thinking of making it "a la JAO" inasfaras, fermenting on the pulp until the skins sinks. Plus probably step feeding as well.......
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I am just going to go for reds and probably some Rose or White Merlot if Merlot is available. The Trebbiano turned out ok but I have 3 of the 5 gallons I made left so that will keep me going for a while so I will not make any this year.

The plan this year will involve adjusting the acid and sugar levels in the must if they require it. Bleed off a gallon to make Rose and then leave the extra skins in the remaining red must to help concentrate the flavours as per Bobs suggestion last year.

Question for Pete. What has been your best tasting/most successful Rose?

Question for anyone who had them, what did the Grenache and Cillioooogliwhatsit turn out like?

Comment

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
            Question for Pete. What has been your best tasting/most successful Rose?
            A Ciliegiolo rosé. Sorry, can't remember what year, 2010 I think. 1 gal drawn off after about 24 hours, diluted a bit to reduce SG (and therefore alcohol), increased acidity by about 1g/l, threw in a D47 starter, retired to a safe distance. Quite dark in colour, but incredibly fruity. Merlot makes a decent rosé too.

I'll try to remember to bring a bottle.
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

That sounds great, and a method also. So the 24hrs on the skins is required to get the colour? I would love to try a glass

Comment

24 hours is just how long I left them. There was no science behind it. Last year (I think) I took a box of merlot home intact, and crushed and pressed them. The juice was just as dark as that which had been left on the skins for about 36 hours, so it must pick up lots of colour in the grape .
                Pete the Instructor

Comment

Merlot with RC212 is a defo. 2010 is drinking now - super.
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

No whites for you Brian?
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                      No whites for you Brian?
                      lol
                      Simon
                      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

I'm not bothering with any white as it has always dissapointed.

Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

If I get there, I would just do a basic red wine and hopefully have a go with the port if that's possible from 5 (liquid) gallons worth... Keep it simple stupid would have to be my motto...

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                            I'm not bothering with any white as it has always dissapointed.

How about trying any Italian white grapes other than Trebbiano. Trebbiano has I believe historically been a blending grape.

Garganega, Pinot blanc, Pinot grigio and Verdicchio could potentially all produce better wine than the Trebbiano. They even grow Sauvignon Blanc in Italy!

Comment

I have customer who do a merlot/treb white ?? Nerver tased it though.
                              Personally I prefer sarsons on my chips

Comment

Working...
                              X